Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Army M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default Army M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works

M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works - Kit Up

Very interesting......nods to JD.

Jack
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default



M24 is a short action.

.300 Win Mag is a LONG action.

I would like to see the gunsmith that can pull this one off effectively and at cost... LOL

I think this is great, but the real story is the Remington MPD's new Super Rifle.

However, as the prototype stocks for the new weapon were $80K in R&D A PIECE, and they only made 2, I can see their hesitation to buying a crap load of them... LOL

Very interesting article Jack. I am curious to see where they are going, but the better the weapons, the better the shooters, and the less Halalala Suicide Bombers to deal with.

That is a win/win in my book.

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post


M24 is a short action.

.300 Win Mag is a LONG action.

I would like to see the gunsmith that can pull this one off effectively and at cost... LOL

I think this is great, but the real story is the Remington MPD's new Super Rifle.

However, as the prototype stocks for the new weapon were $80K in R&D A PIECE, and they only made 2, I can see their hesitation to buying a crap load of them... LOL

Very interesting article Jack. I am curious to see where they are going, but the better the weapons, the better the shooters, and the less Halalala Suicide Bombers to deal with.

That is a win/win in my book.

JD
In the comments section of the article they mention that the Army bought long action .308s...
__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
In the comments section of the article they mention that the Army bought long action .308s...
Huh. I skimmed it, as most of it is news that should have happened years ago. I missed that part.

.308 long actions?! WTF?!

Well, let's see. You pull the barrel, install new, change out the stock, bed as necessary, upgrade optics ( if allowed ) and you are back in business. I think you have to change the bolt head, but that is quick and easy.

The 700 long action is not the best magnum action, but it will allow the boys to stretch the battlefield, which is a good thing.
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

My SIL was detailed into some long distance shooting on his last tour in Iraq - and he was a REAL fan of the Barrett .50...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My SIL was detailed into some long distance shooting on his last tour in Iraq - and he was a REAL fan of the Barrett .50...
He should see the performance of the Barrett .416

That weapon will outshoot just about anything in the US Arsenal right now. And it's a cheaper over all system ( LE Pricing ) than the .50

There is a little tiny voice in the far recesses of my brain that thinks I need a .416 - thus far I have been able to ignore the little bastard.
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Default

I have heard that same voice in my ear now for about a year,every since i seen it on the outdoor channel and they were showing of The 416, awesome piece of steel for sure.

__________________
ricardo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wambli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 947
Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post


M24 is a short action.

.300 Win Mag is a LONG action.

I would like to see the gunsmith that can pull this one off effectively and at cost... LOL


JD
The M24 has always been a long action .308. The ARMY wrote the specs expecting that at some point they would rechamber the rilfles to 30-06 which just never happened.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, let's see. You pull the barrel, install new, change out the stock, bed as necessary, upgrade optics ( if allowed ) and you are back in business. I think you have to change the bolt head, but that is quick and easy.
Acually all they have to do is change out the magbox, fit a new magnum bolt and rechamber the existing barrel.
__________________

Last edited by Wambli; 03-12-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Wambli is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
The M24 has always been a long action .308. The ARMY wrote the specs expecting that at some point they would rechamber the rilfles to 30-06 which just never happened.
Correct.
USArmy M24=Long action.
USMC M40=Short action.
__________________
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best 1500 Yard Sniper Rifle FlavoredGorilla General Rifle Discussion 25 11-26-2010 01:59 PM
Russian Sniper Rifle takes aim at America Shihan The Club House 11 12-15-2009 12:51 PM
Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle RL357Mag Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 17 08-11-2009 02:03 PM
Sniper rifle software launched for iPod touch opaww The Club House 1 01-21-2009 01:35 PM