Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Army M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/army-m24-sniper-rifle-fixes-works-24468/)

IGETEVEN 03-10-2010 03:26 PM

Army M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works

M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works - Kit Up

Very interesting......nods to JD. :cool:

Jack

Dillinger 03-10-2010 03:34 PM

:confused::confused:

M24 is a short action.

.300 Win Mag is a LONG action.

I would like to see the gunsmith that can pull this one off effectively and at cost... LOL

I think this is great, but the real story is the Remington MPD's new Super Rifle.

However, as the prototype stocks for the new weapon were $80K in R&D A PIECE, and they only made 2, I can see their hesitation to buying a crap load of them... LOL

Very interesting article Jack. I am curious to see where they are going, but the better the weapons, the better the shooters, and the less Halalala Suicide Bombers to deal with.

That is a win/win in my book.

JD

NGIB 03-10-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 244865)

M24 is a short action.

I would like to see the gunsmith that can pull this one off effectively and at cost... LOL

I think this is great, but the real story is the Remington MPD's new Super Rifle.

However, as the prototype stocks for the new weapon were $80K in R&D A PIECE, and they only made 2, I can see their hesitation to buying a crap load of them... LOL

Very interesting article Jack. I am curious to see where they are going, but the better the weapons, the better the shooters, and the less Halalala Suicide Bombers to deal with.

That is a win/win in my book.

JD

In the comments section of the article they mention that the Army bought long action .308s...

Dillinger 03-10-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 244897)
In the comments section of the article they mention that the Army bought long action .308s...

Huh. I skimmed it, as most of it is news that should have happened years ago. I missed that part.

.308 long actions?! WTF?!

Well, let's see. You pull the barrel, install new, change out the stock, bed as necessary, upgrade optics ( if allowed ) and you are back in business. I think you have to change the bolt head, but that is quick and easy.

The 700 long action is not the best magnum action, but it will allow the boys to stretch the battlefield, which is a good thing.

NGIB 03-10-2010 04:18 PM

My SIL was detailed into some long distance shooting on his last tour in Iraq - and he was a REAL fan of the Barrett .50...

Dillinger 03-10-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 244926)
My SIL was detailed into some long distance shooting on his last tour in Iraq - and he was a REAL fan of the Barrett .50...

He should see the performance of the Barrett .416

That weapon will outshoot just about anything in the US Arsenal right now. And it's a cheaper over all system ( LE Pricing ) than the .50

There is a little tiny voice in the far recesses of my brain that thinks I need a .416 - thus far I have been able to ignore the little bastard. :cool:

ricardo 03-11-2010 01:38 AM

I have heard that same voice in my ear now for about a year,every since i seen it on the outdoor channel and they were showing of The 416, awesome piece of steel for sure.

Wambli 03-11-2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

M24 is a short action.

JD

The M24 has always been a long action .308. The ARMY wrote the specs expecting that at some point they would rechamber the rilfles to 30-06 which just never happened.

Quote:

Well, let's see. You pull the barrel, install new, change out the stock, bed as necessary, upgrade optics ( if allowed ) and you are back in business. I think you have to change the bolt head, but that is quick and easy.

Acually all they have to do is change out the magbox, fit a new magnum bolt and rechamber the existing barrel.

M14sRock 03-11-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 245452)
The M24 has always been a long action .308. The ARMY wrote the specs expecting that at some point they would rechamber the rilfles to 30-06 which just never happened.

Correct.
USArmy M24=Long action.
USMC M40=Short action.