Arm the average American - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Arm the average American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I will totally agree with Matt G, two of them are tried and true military designs and the other has feed millions of hunters and their families
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I will totally agree with Matt G, two of them are tried and true military designs and the other has feed millions of hunters and their families
The 870 is a tried and true military/LE design.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

haha good question!

AK-47, Glock G19 (burry that **** in the sand and it goes 'bang' everytime), Mossberg 500.
gotta have all three man Assault secondary hand gun, and the Shotty for any of the ****heads that just dont wanna "stay down." pistol grip of coarse...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #14

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The 870 is a tried and true military/LE design.
I wasn't sure if it was a military design or not and since I won't speak on behalf of something for which I do not know, I left it out.

But now I know!! Thanx MATT!
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I wasn't sure if it was a military design or not and since I won't speak on behalf of something for which I do not know, I left it out.

But now I know!! Thanx MATT!
It's not a military design per se, but it is used by all 4 branches as far as I know.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #16

Default guns you should look into

The tarus p1911 and the tarus p24/7 are both affordable and very accurat guns I own one of both for a rifle i like ar15 ar10 and ak47 with an accasional 30-30 for an unexpierenced person a 22 is great to learn on thanks for reading this.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #17

Being a relative novice, my suggestion for the best value is an SKS.
The grenade launcher on the Yugo makes it heavier, awkward to carry if you like carbines.
Norincos don't have this impractical stuff.

About the best value in a bolt-action might be the Mosin Nagant 91/30 or 44, 38 (the corrosive ammo is still cheap and is very quick/simple to clean). The Yugo Mausers cost little more, although the ammo is not so cheap, but as you might know, 8mm is much more common than 7.62x54R.

If money is no object, as others state, an AK. You might enjoy shopping at "Classicarms Inc." (exc. service). "Jgsales" also.
"7.62x54R" has good MN info, among others. "Collecting and Shooting the Surplus Military Rifle". Let's not forget "SKSboards" (many of these guys KNOW the various SKS models intimately: Yugo, Chinese, Russian, Albanian, East German etc), and you might enjoy the 'surplusrifle' forum.

Mini 14/30, two MN 44s and the solitary SKS.
(plus the forlorn, ancient Savage .22).

Last edited by Laufer; 11-12-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #18

12 ga, handgun, semi auto rifle, bolt action rifle. MAke sure you have a .22 in there somewhere with a sh!tload of ammo. Worse case scenario (SHTF)
.22 ammo will be like cigarettes in prison. Perfect for bartering.

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
Though I only own one handgun (Taurus 38), I have been around hunters, gunowners and guns most of my life.

As I have been sitting around tonight giving thought, AGAIN, to buying a 2nd piece to carry while the 38 stays at home, something different came to me. Part of me thinks I should build a mini-arsenal. I kind of think I should I have a rifle and shot gun also, though not for hunting.

So, if you could put 3 guns into the hands of every responsible American, what would they be?

Mind you, I'm talking about responsible Americans who would take it seriously.
Ahhhh...the proverbial SHTF scenario?

Hmmm...a handgun = something you can handle and shoot accurately and quickly (9mm up to .45 ACP) - keep in mind that the 9mm and .45 ACP would be the easiest rounds to find later on (except for .22LR).

A shotgun = something in 12 GA, pump would probably be a little more robust if you had to move alot, less susceptible to dirt and water than a semi.

Lastly, though a few have mentioned semi-autos like AR's, SKS, M14 - I'm a little torn on this one. I think I would probably go with something with a bit longer range, accuracy, and knock-down power. Again, caliber wise, I think it would probably be something in NATO, most likely .308. The reason being, with the longer range, you can stay away from the hordes of invading zombies, be able to take just about any game for food, again - bolt action would be a little less susceptible to jamming, etc. And if need be, you'd be able to reach out and touch "something" to gain additionalammo/weapons/equip/food/shelter/etc.

So, not too different than most. Then again, a good .22LR or .22Mag would be able to do alot of the same, would be lighter to carry and quieter to operate - specially if you picked up a 'can' for it

Slo

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
Though I only own one handgun (Taurus 38), I have been around hunters, gunowners and guns most of my life.

As I have been sitting around tonight giving thought, AGAIN, to buying a 2nd piece to carry while the 38 stays at home, something different came to me. Part of me thinks I should build a mini-arsenal. I kind of think I should I have a rifle and shot gun also, though not for hunting.

So, if you could put 3 guns into the hands of every responsible American, what would they be?

Mind you, I'm talking about responsible Americans who would take it seriously.
How did I miss this one?!?! Must have hit while I was on vacation.

Okay, assuming a real SHTF scenario, I think you need 4 weapons at your home, bunker, tree stand, whatever.

1911: It's proven, it's reliable, it's been in service over 100 years & the .45 caliber round will put someone in the dirt quickly and effectively. There is plenty of ammo available in scavage locations like police stations, military depots, sporting goods stores, etc.

.12 Gauge: Same as above. Perferably a pump action, though I personally own a gas operated one. I feel the pump action ( like the 870 or the Mossy 500 ) can be worked on in the field should the need arise. Ammo - same as above.

AR-15: ( with a .22lr conversion bolt and mag ) Plenty of ammo available for both the .223/5.56mm and the .22lr ( the conversion kit is cheap and easy to install - great for hunting small game ) and the rapid follow up shots from a well tuned AR could be needed in a Pursuit Break while setting up for Escape & Evade.

.308 ( or Larger ) Boltgun: You need the ability to reach out and touch someone/something with enough authority to put their pee-pee in the muddy stuff. .308 ammo is readily available and it has the mid range power to dump a Zombie or a large game animal for food. They make several break down models that can be packed in a normal backpack.

JD