Arm the average American
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Arm the average American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Arm the average American

Though I only own one handgun (Taurus 38), I have been around hunters, gunowners and guns most of my life.

As I have been sitting around tonight giving thought, AGAIN, to buying a 2nd piece to carry while the 38 stays at home, something different came to me. Part of me thinks I should build a mini-arsenal. I kind of think I should I have a rifle and shot gun also, though not for hunting.

So, if you could put 3 guns into the hands of every responsible American, what would they be?

Mind you, I'm talking about responsible Americans who would take it seriously.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1911, M14, 870

[/thread]

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 AM   #3

12ga pump shotgun - first to buy

Your handgun

.22 rifle, feed the hoards in times of trouble

30-30, 30-06, .270, .308 bolt action

you gotta have a .22 or ten....

Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #4

Remington 870 12ga

A good .22 (10/22, 77/22, 597, etc)

The good ole AK

The battle rifle is going to be the one bit of contention. Check out a bunch of them and shoot as many as possible. Buy the one that seems the most logical to you.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
Though I only own one handgun (Taurus 38), I have been around hunters, gunowners and guns most of my life.

As I have been sitting around tonight giving thought, AGAIN, to buying a 2nd piece to carry while the 38 stays at home, something different came to me. Part of me thinks I should build a mini-arsenal. I kind of think I should I have a rifle and shot gun also, though not for hunting.

So, if you could put 3 guns into the hands of every responsible American, what would they be?

I've thought about this alot, Banta. My fantasy is to see every responsible American with at least 6 guns however and with at least 10,000 rounds of ammo for each gun. In Switzerland, everyone is in the "army" (actually, it is a modern version of a citizen milita - which is what this country is suppose to have but doesn't, anymore) and takes their "kit" home (full auto rifle, grenades, mortars, machine guns, ect). This system has kept them out of all the modern wars and free from centralized governmental tryanny.

Back to the topic however.

My six would not be specific guns, but rather specific types. Everyone has their own right to chose within the categories.

Battle Rifle with accessories
(bayonet, multiple sights (if desired), cleaning kit, spare parts, slings, etc)

Pump shotgun 12 ga, extended mag or clip fed, 18-20" barrel.
Should have shroud for bayonet and sling

.22 rifle and semi-auto pistol with suppressor
(must fit both guns or one detachable suppressor for each gun).

Military type semi-auto pistol and detachable suppressor.

Bolt action, scoped, high power hunting / sniper rifle.

People should spend at least one day a month at the range training / practicing with one catagory of weapon. In the course of a year everybody would get two days on each weapon. This would simply be a minimum. I would, like the Swiss, like to see neighborhoods formed into squads and platoons to defend their homes. Hopefully they would train together. They would certainly elect their own officers (this is how it used to be done in this country and is still done in Switzerland). They might also chose to standardize their weapon choices and get discounts for volume purchases.

This system would eliminate the need for Nat'l Guard and military units to move into neighborhoods and "protect" people. The "military" would already be there. They would be motivated too; afterall they would be protecting their own homes and families. I think local cops would be more integrated into their communities too, knowing that the "people" are fully capable of taking care of themselves.

The government (at all levels) would never agree to this however, since it would be a massive loss of "Power" for them and they would end up being the servants, not the masters of the people. After all, it took the government over 100 years to get rid of this system and replace it with the "National Guard". The people would truly be more independent and self-sufficient and thus, not dependent upon the government bureaucrats for safety, food and shelter in natural disasters or "emergencies". Evacuations are seldom accomplished for the benefit of those being evacuated. They are evacuated to make them totally dependent upon the government's "kindness" and to isolate them from their own "organic" resources. It is a method to create dependency and promote docility and obedience in a subject (and defenseless) population.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

Mao Zedong

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

Louis Brandeis

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #6

Mossberg 500
AR-15 or AK-47
Sig 229

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 AM   #7

just my personal opinion, I would stay away from the remington 597 .22 unless they have had some majjor changes. GREAT as far as accuracy, but I have never had a mag last more than 2 loadings. 10/22 would be my pick, hi cap mags are easy to come buy, lots of options with one also.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
just my personal opinion, I would stay away from the remington 597 .22 unless they have had some majjor changes. GREAT as far as accuracy, but I have never had a mag last more than 2 loadings. 10/22 would be my pick, hi cap mags are easy to come buy, lots of options with one also.
Well, we know what opinions are like. I've put tons of rounds through mine and the only time I've had any problems was when I didn't put it together correctly even with aftermarket hi-cap mags. I don't have anything bad to say about the 10/22's, I just got a good deal on the 597. As a matter of fact, I'm planning on getting a 10/22 once I buy a few other things I want more.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post

1911, Remington 870, AR-15.

Suitable substitutes: Sig P226 in .40, Mossberg 590, M14.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM   #10

maverick 88, rossi 12 ga , hp 45acp ,hp 9mm carbine ,hp 380 ,phoenix 25acp ,savage 22 semi auto , heritage 22 mag ,marlin 30/30