Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ar15 help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ar15-help-53134/)

stoppingpower 12-07-2011 01:44 PM

Ar15 help

I'm looking to get an ar.. keep in mind it will be my very first one. Anyway my work gives out cabelas cards and I have 7 80$ cards. I have seen a few ars like the m&p sport that I really want but I've been looking at dpms and a Olympic "plinker"..basicly what gun would be best for a first timer and have u had any experience with these guns. I can only get the gun from cabelas and I'm willing to spend about 100-150$ outta pocket.. I'm not looking for a 1589$ dollar gun....

Thanks
Mike

trip286 12-07-2011 01:50 PM

I think the smith is one if the cheaper ones, but even with that many cards I think you're still looking at about 250 at least out of pocket. But who the heck can say they picked up a new AR for even that much?

I don't have much experience with civilian AR's, but I've handled many if them, and I really like the smith. It just felt better to me and I liked the sights best on it.

AZL 12-07-2011 02:04 PM

BUSHMASTER....my personal favorite.

stoppingpower 12-07-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZL
BUSHMASTER....my personal favorite.

Bud if I could trust me id buy one

Anyway I really am looking at that smith in billings Montana they got that smith for 600 bucks..... I kimda want it but yeah like u said man what's 250 for an ar

Jkl-28 12-07-2011 06:27 PM

I personally own a S&W M&P AR and love it! But I think DPMS make a good rifle too I've shot a few DPMS ARs and had no problems! And they are usually at a good price!

stoppingpower 12-08-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkl-28
I personally own a S&W M&P AR and love it! But I think DPMS make a good rifle too I've shot a few DPMS ARs and had no problems! And they are usually at a good price!

Ya I think I'm leaning towards smith because I've heard that name and never anything bad about them. What smith u got

primer 12-08-2011 01:18 PM

I own a dpms with a 16 in barrel and love it. it will group one moa with big box store ammo. I have read a lot of good about smith and especially rock river arms and stag arms. Happy hunting.

primer 12-08-2011 03:29 PM

I shot an olympic arms ar and was not impressed . Sights were out of adjustment just to get zero . I would rather have a mini 14.

stoppingpower 12-09-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer
I own a dpms with a 16 in barrel and love it. it will group one moa with big box store ammo. I have read a lot of good about smith and especially rock river arms and stag arms. Happy hunting.

Did u get that gun from a bigger store or a local dealer..and how much u pay buddy

ScottA 12-09-2011 12:26 PM

Looking at my first AR here as well. I'm kind of leaning towards a Rock River Arms. I hear good things about them, and they're built locally (a plus in my book). But I may change my mind 4 times before I finally put the cash down next month.