AR for M1 Trade?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AR for M1 Trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default AR for M1 Trade?

I have a opportunity to trade my Olympic Arms lower/Double Star Upper AR-15 (5.56) for a 1950's Springfield M1 Garand rifle. I would say the rifle is in 85% condition. There are some scratches on the stock of course and the barrel appears to be in good condition. The shop did check the bore and said it is well within specs. What say you all? Should I make the trade. P.S. My AR does have a Aimpoint CompM2 mounted on it.

Fill me in on your thoughts everyone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'd much rather have the Garand but that's just me.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #3

That is what I am thinking. Plus, I would be able to do some fun deer hunting this year and not have to worry about head shots only with the .223. I think I am definitely going to do this.

Another thing, when I find what I really want (Mini 14 Match) I will have better luck trading the Garand for the Mini without any boot.

How will the Garand do with firing hunting bullets? I'm talking about ballistic tips and something like Fusion or some kind of soft point ammo.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't answer this in a fair manner, but I'll answer truthfully. I do not care for the AR platform, never have. I love the M1 and M14 rifles. They are proven battle rifles.

So, in my very biased (but truthful ) opinion go for the M1.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #5

It is not, by any means, that I do not care for the AR platform. I feel that it is a great weapon and is more than capable of taking any critter, two or four legged, in my area. The reason I am considering this so much is because I was wanting to get a mini to accurize or a match model to tinker with. My AR shoots very well with cheap ammo, but it kind of gets boring to go out and shoot what you are looking at through the scope at 100 yards. The Garand is a beautiful rifle, one of the 'purtiest' ever made in my opinion, and has no way to mount a scope (that I know of). I think that it will be better for me because I do hunt as much as possible and the round is a bit better than the .223 will be.

Does anyone have any info on hunting ammo out of a Garand?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I built my AR from scratch....I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd build an M1 before trading.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 10-29-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #7

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Another thing, when I find what I really want (Mini 14 Match) I will have better luck trading the Garand for the Mini without any boot.
Blasphemy!!!

Quote:
How will the Garand do with firing hunting bullets? I'm talking about ballistic tips and something like Fusion or some kind of soft point ammo.
You will need to be VERY careful with what you feed into a Garand. And that's all I have to say, about that.

Last edited by Highpower; 10-29-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: syntax

Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #8

I knew I would get some grief for that statement about the mini!

Is there a reason why you won't go into more detail about the hunting ammo in the Garand? I really would like to know if it is going to be A) safe for me and B) Safe for the rifle?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #9

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I knew I would get some grief for that statement about the mini!
LOL! You have to be an old phart to understand the reverence in which we hold the M1. Just funnin ya.....
Quote:
Is there a reason why you won't go into more detail about the hunting ammo in the Garand? I really would like to know if it is going to be A) safe for me and B) Safe for the rifle?
Yes there is a reason. It's called a can of worms. Something I don't wish to open here or anywhere else. It is often a hotly debated subject. You have been warned.

Let me google that for you

Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6020 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I can't answer this in a fair manner, but I'll answer truthfully. I do not care for the AR platform, never have. I love the M1 and M14 rifles. They are proven battle rifles.

So, in my very biased (but truthful ) opinion go for the M1.
well the m16 series has been in active service disposing of america's enemies successfully across the globe for longer than the m1 and m14 combined