AR Budget and what to get - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AR Budget and what to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I can't believe how good the Jard triggers are after installing/adjusting. I never was much on 2 stage triggers so the single stage Jard kit is the only 1 I'll reccomend from now in.
I really like the Jard too - I had one on my 17" with the Eotech that used to be in my gallery before it fell off the boat into the Marianas Trench.

They are quite good, and for a single stage trigger, they are great.

I do prefer the 2 Stage trigger for more "long range" work, but there is NOTHING wrong with the Jard on an entry gun in my opinion.

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I can live with a 2 stage trigger close up, but at distance, they're absolutely essential. I'm a big fan of using one rifle and one pistol to do everything. That way you know them both intimately, inside and out. Because of that, I'd go 2 stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hands down for a tactical and real world application.

Timney makes a great benchrest and a great, tuneable ( is that a word ?) trigger. I have several in my boltguns.

But, for a great, drop in, reliable, field trigger the RRA NM 2-Stage is the best choice going in my opinion and that of the shop I spend time in.

Plus it's a simple issue of economics:

$195 versus less than $100 for the RRA.

JD
I'm coming up with about $300 for the Timney and about $120 for the RRA.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #13

Timney - Direct from Timney = http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/catalog/AR-15-Competition-7.html

Timney - From Dynamic Armament =

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar15-accessories/timney-trigger/timney-ar-15-flat-trigger-3-pound-timneyflattrigger3pound-detail.htm

RRA - From Coleman Tyler = (currently out of stock, but more are expected )

http://www.colemantyler.com/proddetail.php?prod=RRALRNMT

Same RRA Trigger without the name on it from AR15Sales.com =

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html

Slordy has ordered from them dozens of times and recommends them whole heartedly.

JD

Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #14

"Ok With Tax time looming I am getting a good chunk of change back from Uncle tom and Pres BO. "

I just want to know why you are getting a good chunk of change back. You have let "them" have your money interest free for the entire year and now they are generously letting you have it back when it was yours in the first place. Change something on your W-2s and keep some of it durring the year.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwheat View Post

I just want to know why you are getting a good chunk of change back. You have let "them" have your money interest free for the entire year and now they are generously letting you have it back when it was yours in the first place. Change something on your W-2s and keep some of it durring the year.
Could be a lot of reasons. Tango could have bought a house this year, or had a kid close to the end of the year. He could also have been working his rear end off in mandatory overtime and didn't have the time/motivation/energy to get down to HR and change his W-2. *shrug*

JD

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Why do I want to get a few dollars more on my paycheck so they can take more? I don't care if it is interest free It is like a savings account for me. I get tired of hearing people tell me how to deal with my money when you don't even know who I am or what I am doing.

I think it is stupid to claim more and have them take out less then end up owing the guberment money in the end. I would rather let them think it is theirs for a year then take my money and run.

I did change jobs and this is the first time in 4 years I have to file. So unless you live in my house don't effin tell me what to do with MY DAM MONEY.

I thought we were talking about me buying an AR or did I miss something after my first post.

So I am really wanting a DPMS I like the LR-204 or LR-260. Not sure about getting a larger caliber like the 260 rem because I will not shoot it to much. But If I get a 223 I will then have to buy a conversion kit for my dillon and dies and other stuff. Not sure I want another varmint caliber either. I dunno to many options for me to think about. I have handled a Smith and I really like them too they feel solid and well built.

So I am looking at the RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle. If I decide on a 223 what chamber do I want 556 223 or the wylde chamber?

Then I got to get a new scope. I think the VX-II 6-18x40mm would end up on this rifle with a new one going on my remmy 700 vls. I was thinking 6-24 or 8-32, If I went with an 8-32 it would end up on my 308 and that 6-24 4200 would move to my VLS. OMG I've gone crosseyed.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

So I am looking at the RRA Predator Pursuit Rifle. If I decide on a 223 what chamber do I want 556 223 or the wylde chamber?
Sounds like you got a lot of choices ahead there brother, and little time before it gets pressing to make them.

So, RRA is the only company, I believe, that is turning out the choice of 5.56 or .223 or Wylde and what that means is this.

Their standard 5.56 chamber is for Military type ammo

Their .223 is for the civilian standard of .223 - like your hunting rounds

Their Wylde chamber is a cross between the two that RRA is saying will shoot both rounds without incident.

Conventional wisdom is that any 5.56 rated chamber will handle the lower pressure .223 without incident, but the accuracy will be SLIGHTLY decreased.

Knowing you, you are going to end up reloading, and fine tuning, the load anyways, so I think the chamber choice if you go with this caliber would lean towards the military standard 5.56, which gives you the best of both worlds.

AND IN OTHER NEWS:

Guess who got to see the new bolt head and barrel design for the Remington MDP Sniper Rifle this week?? Ha ha ha

This weapon is going to be SICK and we are ALL going to be wanting one. They will be displaying it for the first time to the public at SHOT, and I have pictures, but I can't post them until after the show is officially open.

Remington has COMPLETELY over-hauled their whole rifle concept and they are now going to be loading military grade match ammo with "payloads" for special missions, the whole nine yards. Remington is coming back STRONG with this new offering. Very Impressive stuff....

JD

Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #18

I don't know where y'all live, but up here in MI, building just isn't an option anymore. EVERYONE is sold out of parts. The lower is the hardest part to get. Even our gun shows are out of stock. But if you can manage, I personally love Del-ton for bang for the buck. If you're looking for a diff cal look into the .50 Beowolf, or maybe the .458 SOCOM, both available at Rock River Arms(after a lengthy back order). Otherwise I'd go the .308 route. Rumor has it the the new Remington .308 (R-25?)is actually a Bushmaster. Btw, Del-ton offers all their uppers in 5.56. If it were me I'd only buy a 5.56 as it'll handle all the available loads in .223 or 5.56 where as a .223 upper may have trouble with hot 5.56 loads. Also, don't pay any mind to the "steel casings are evil" myth.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwheat View Post
I just paid off the kid I had last year, who spent over 2 months in the Noenatal ICU, I've had another kid, got laid off and taken it in the shorts on depreciation on my land in the past year.

There are 4 of us and before I got laid off, I was claiming 4. I', squeezing all I can out of the bastards after they did the same to me. Even though, he'll steal all of my freedom, at least Obama might let me keep some of my money, rather than dumping it into unjust wars and unfounded threats to "Homeland Security".

[/rant]

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXFun86 View Post
I don't know where y'all live, but up here in MI, building just isn't an option anymore. EVERYONE is sold out of parts. The lower is the hardest part to get. Even our gun shows are out of stock. But if you can manage, I personally love Del-ton for bang for the buck. If you're looking for a diff cal look into the .50 Beowolf, or maybe the .458 SOCOM, both available at Rock River Arms(after a lengthy back order). Otherwise I'd go the .308 route. Rumor has it the the new Remington .308 (R-25?)is actually a Bushmaster. Btw, Del-ton offers all their uppers in 5.56. If it were me I'd only buy a 5.56 as it'll handle all the available loads in .223 or 5.56 where as a .223 upper may have trouble with hot 5.56 loads. Also, don't pay any mind to the "steel casings are evil" myth.
I live in Cali and I can buy parts off of www.gunbroker.com all day long that fall into our laws. It should be much easier in free states. There are close to 300 lowers listed there right now.

FYI, lacquered steel will ruin your AR. It's not a myth, keep shooting the garbage and see what happens. Also, please read up on the difference between 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem. Also just for ****s and grins, check out what a .223 Wylde is.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-14-2009 at 05:59 AM.