AR Budget and what to get
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AR Budget and what to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default AR Budget and what to get

Ok With Tax time looming I am getting a good chunk of change back from Uncle tom and Pres BO.

I want an AR I want to take the plunge but My budget is not what I would like. I might be able to squeeze $1000 out of it but that would be it for everything -optics I got a good scope that I can take off a Rimfire.

So I know I want a flattop or an EOP. Which is better?

I would like a 22 to 24" SS barrel

Comfortable grip and light weight stock

Should I build or buy.

If I build where do I go to buy parts and all that stuff. I am rather handy when it comes to guns and can completely strip two of my rimfires in under 5 minutes that is down to a bare action.

I like this one and I really like the price All though I would like a different caliber than 223 maybe something a little bigger or smaller I like the 204 Ruger round So this one is another thought. But I fear that the price will be getting higher hear very soon.

So some of the all mighty AR Gods of Firearms Talk direct me in the ways of the AR.....

I can't believe I am thinking of getting one just a few years ago I didn't want anything to do with them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hahaha
JD should be coming around pretty soon
but you could look at my thread i guess
building it is definitely worth it
saves money and you "know" how it works

good luck!

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Building is always cheaper and gets you the exact gun that you want. The problem with it is finding the receivers.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

By all means build it yourself! Just get a good quality lower first-that's the part you have to fill out the paperwork on, and counts as firearm. Now you have to decide exactly how you're going to configure it before making a parts list. May I remind you that IMO too many people fall for "gadgetizing" they're AR to the point where it weighs more than neccesary and is actually less effective. Remember the K.I.S.S. principle, get quality parts, and make sure they're compatible. You can build a damn nice AR for less than your budget allows-even in mid-panic buying spree.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
By all means build it yourself! Just get a good quality lower first-that's the part you have to fill out the paperwork on, and counts as firearm. Now you have to decide exactly how you're going to configure it before making a parts list. May I remind you that IMO too many people fall for "gadgetizing" they're AR to the point where it weighs more than neccesary and is actually less effective. Remember the K.I.S.S. principle, get quality parts, and make sure they're compatible. You can build a damn nice AR for less than your budget allows-even in mid-panic buying spree.
Thats about all the guidance ya need right there! Great advice.
Only add I would offer up is it is so hard finding parts right now. Its hard to find all the components in stock (less the lower) from a single source; you really have to keep an eye on running shipping costs up by buying from multi sources. Best bet is if you have a good dealer nearby and be patient.

Hey should somebody call search and rescue? Figured this one would have woke JD up from a sound sleep.

Last edited by hillbilly68; 01-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The only thing hanging off my ar IF I GET ONE will be a SCOPE, BIPOD and a SLING.

I want a solid free floated tube like hogue or something.

Trigger I want a light trigger no more than 2#.

I am thinking 243, 204, 260. Not just your run of the mill 223. I have a 223 already. But I am not sold on that either yet. I would love to have a 260 because I can use it at the range and on ground hogs and deer. So it would be a good all around gun.

I guess I coud get a basic AR with a flat top then replace things as I go.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default And..... I'm Back.

Sorry. I was sacrificing small children before a black alter in hopes of reversing time back prior to Nov. 3rd....

Soooooo, my brother in crime wants to get into the AR world. And to think, just a few months ago I couldn't have GIVEN you one... LOL

The first thing you need to decide is BUILD or BUY:

You are a tinkerer by nature - and given your current collection, I would be surprised if you DIDN'T opt to build it yourself.

The first thing you need is the lower receiver - and given the size of the cartridges, you should be able to do it with a standard AR-15 lower.

Once you purchase that, then you can customize the things that you are looking for.

A 2# trigger isn't a problem - there are several choices from single stage with tuning to two stage drop ins that will get you in the ball park.

Really, buying a kit and assembling it yourself is going to be the cheapest, if you find parts these days, and the most fun since you will have direct input over what goes in your rifle.

As for a parts list, I like these guys:

Yankee Hill Machine for foreends and folding sights.

RRA NM 2-Stage Trigger. Best drop in trigger for the money. Period.

Jard Adjustable Triggers. Great for the do it yourselfer.

Magpul PMags are the current Need To Have accessory for the "tactically sound" community.

CMMG SSAT Magazines are another choice that have great reviews.

Hit me up if you have any questions or need some advice on parts and where to get them...

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The RRA triggers are better than the Timneys? Or are they just more bang for the buck?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The RRA triggers are better than the Timneys?
Hands down for a tactical and real world application.

Timney makes a great benchrest and a great, tuneable ( is that a word ?) trigger. I have several in my boltguns.

But, for a great, drop in, reliable, field trigger the RRA NM 2-Stage is the best choice going in my opinion and that of the shop I spend time in.

Plus it's a simple issue of economics:

$195 versus less than $100 for the RRA.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't believe how good the Jard triggers are after installing/adjusting. I never was much on 2 stage triggers so the single stage Jard kit is the only 1 I'll reccomend from now in.