Ar barrel length
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ar barrel length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ar barrel length

Wanting to do a barrel change on my cmmg. Was wanting to put on a 24" heavy barrel. What's the pros and cons of going that long. I like the look mainly but still want accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Well as it was mentioned a few days ago on another thread, a longer barrel does not necessarily mean greater accuracy. However, a longer barrel will mean faster muzzle velocities which translates into less drop and more energy at distance. According to this calculator with a 55gr bullet and an initial velocity of 3000fps, the increase in velocity from 16 to a 24 inch barrel is 230 fps.

http://shootersnotes.com/Velinfo.php

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Last edited by fa35jsf; 06-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Highpower Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And so by Hornady's online tool, the 230fps increase will decrease the drop at 300 yards by 2.5 inches, 500 yards by 11.2 inches, and at 700 yards by a whopping 31.8 inches using the same bullet and powder. The above numbers are the result of this equation (24 inch barrel velocity - 16 inch barrel velocity). Remember that the actual drop is still quite great at those distances.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Last edited by fa35jsf; 06-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1054 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 441

The "pro" is that you like way the rifle looks.

The "con" is that the rifle is now as long as a battle rifle, it weighs as much as a battle rifle with worse weight distribution, and the velocity loss between 24 and 20 inches is minimal.

But hey, it's your money and ultimately you are the one who will be happy or unhappy. I'd say it may be useful as a moderate distance target rifle or perhaps open terrain hunting rifle, if your locale allows 5.56MM for hunting, and it squeezes every last ounce of juice outta the 5.56MM, but that's about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm kinda goin for a bench rest / bipod rifle with this one. I know the longer / heavier barrel won't be a comfortable shouldered rifle Just kinda goin for look but shill want it too shoot good

Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #6

Liked 331 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
..... the increase in velocity from 16 to a 24 inch barrel is 230 fpm.
I was with you there until I got to feet per minute....

It was a test to see if we're paying attention, right?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I was with you there until I got to feet per minute....

It was a test to see if we're paying attention, right?
HAHA. Hey I was tired and just got done calculating fuel flow in pounds per minute.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as looking like a battle rifle and heavy I don't mind. But it should still shoot fine right? On shelf ammo?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Bush, you will still have to find the right load for ultimate accuracy. Keep in mind also that every gun and every barrel is an individual and as such won't react equitably to all cartridges. Try several different loads methodically so as to find what load your weapon places on target most consistenly and base your results on that loading.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Bushmaster,

From experience, I would only recommend a 20" max length heavy varmint barrel for your rifle. The 24 is very front heavy. The other issue is it makes the rifle entirely too heavy to pack around incase you want to use it for something else other than stationary on a bench. Like for instance varmint or predator hunting. In addition it will shoot no better than the 20". I have had two Rock River Arms 20" A-4 Varmint Rifles both were 1/4 MOA guns when I was having a good day. Bottom line the 24 will do no better and heavy as stated. So my advise if you are going to go to a Heavy Barrel only go to the 20" even for bench shooting. Of course the quality of the barrel is important as well as selecting the barrel twist for the rounds you will be shooting. Mine were both 1:8 Twist Stainles Air Guaged Wildy Chambers. I mostly shot 55 gr. match bullets out of them but the 1:8 will also shoot well with heavier bullets like 62-69 grain rounds. While the 1:12 twist can only handle rounds 55 gr and lighter. The Rock River Barrels are Wilson Barrel Company barrels. There are many good barrel companies but the Rock River/Wilsons are fine barrels proven by the groups they consistantly produce.
Good luck on your choice!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

purehavoc Likes This