Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   AR-15 scope Question??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ar-15-scope-question-50825/)

TXBornTXProud 10-30-2011 02:24 AM

AR-15 scope Question???

I just picked up a new DPMS Panther .223. I added a 7" quad rail and am now looking for a good tactical scope. I put a Leupold scope on it, but it got in the way of the charging handle. I am not wanting to shoot 400 yards, maybe up to 200 yards max. I am also looking for CQ shooting also. I found a 2.5 x 9 x 40 with Burris FastFire at Valhalla Armory. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and if this scope would work for what I want. I appreciate any help I could get.

JTJ 10-30-2011 02:33 AM

I cant tell you about the Burris but you might want to look at the Leupold VXR series that are designed for the AR platform. Personally I like low power scopes for fast close in handling. 1-4x is my preferred range. I do have a Burris Fullfield II that has never given me any trouble. You might want to consider the scope in the link below.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-1-4x24-fullfield-tac30-illum-ballistic-cq-5-56-riflescope.html

Axxe55 10-30-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBornTXProud (Post 614510)
I just picked up a new DPMS Panther .223. I added a 7" quad rail and am now looking for a good tactical scope. I put a Leupold scope on it, but it got in the way of the charging handle. I am not wanting to shoot 400 yards, maybe up to 200 yards max. I am also looking for CQ shooting also. I found a 2.5 x 9 x 40 with Burris FastFire at Valhalla Armory. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them and if this scope would work for what I want. I appreciate any help I could get.

welcome to the forum! is your DPMS a flat top receiver? if so you may need an A3 type scope mount to raise the scope so it clears the charging handle. not really familiar with that brand of scope, size wise should be about right for the range you are looking at for shooting. i looked at the scope and the mount on their website, should clear the charging handle fine. price is not bad if their scopes are decent. i use a Simmons 3-9x40 on my Bushmaster, but have carry handle mount as mine is an A2 type receiver.

BillM 10-30-2011 03:51 AM

How much do you want to spend is the first question.

Personally I can't deal with ANY magnification at the low end. I
prefer a true 1X--both eyes open. Very fast for close shots.

The little Weaver V3 actually works pretty well--and it's not too
spendy. Burris DMS is probably the next step up, and from there
the sky is the limit.

Meopta K-dot was the sweetheart of the 3-gun guys a couple
of years ago--you migh pick up a used one for not too much.

If you are looking for serious glass, be prepared to pay darned
near what you have into the rifle.

JTJ 10-30-2011 04:24 AM

Good catch Axxe55. I missed the charging handle and did not think about the height. You do need to use extra high rings or a spacer to bring the scope up to the same height as the irons would be. Some scopes have 25mm (1") tubes and some have 30mm tubes. The rings have to sized accordingly. The Leupold VXR scopes are 30mm and have fire dot (illuminated) reticles.

Axxe55 10-30-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 614602)
Good catch Axxe55. I missed the charging handle and did not think about the height. You do need to use extra high rings or a spacer to bring the scope up to the same height as the irons would be. Some scopes have 25mm (1") tubes and some have 30mm tubes. The rings have to sized accordingly. The Leupold VXR scopes are 30mm and have fire dot (illuminated) reticles.

thanks jtj. as stated, mine has the A2 upper so my scope mounts to the carry handle and raises it up accordingly. another option would be to mount a detachable carry handle and use an A2 scope mount with BUIS.

JTJ 10-30-2011 06:07 PM

He probably has the same platform as mine. I removed the front sight by changing my gasblock to a quad. If you use extra high rings or spacer, there is room for folding irons. The scope could double as the carry handle in a pinch but I prefer not to use it that way. I have been looking for a better scope and have pretty much decided on the Leupold VXR 1-4X20 Firedot. I dont see much need for higher magnification with a 16" barrel. I will have to wait until I get some big bills out of the way so I can still keep my options open. The Burris I linked does not look bad either. I am trying to stick to Made in USA.

Axxe55 10-31-2011 04:47 AM

jtj, i have three different scopes that i use on my M4A2. one is a BSA 4x32, one is Simmons 3-9x40 and a Barska red dot 1x40. have rings set up on all three so all i do is change them out on the scope mount. when i build my next AR it will be in 6.8mm spc with an A3 type upper. i want to set it up with a scope and removeable BUIS. this way i have different options based on shooting ranges. i do like options!