Ar-15 question - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ar-15 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15noob
Hello...as you can tell from my user I am a noob when it comes to the ar-15 platform. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. What is best " clean" ammo as I hear it is a dirty platform? Is 223 rem better than 5.56 NATO? Sorry if this is mundane but look to you guys for some guidance. Thanks.
I'm in the same boat. I bought my first ar15 a week ago and I have not got to shoot it yet bc I haven't ben home and it's about to drive me crazy.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #22

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenson07 View Post
Dirty as all get out, steel cased, inconsistent power loads..in my opinion not worth it. Unless the gun is a mil-surp weapon ie mosin,sks, ak, etc. I would never run steel through it. The risk far outweighs the reward. I have seen receivers on guns gored due to a stoppage with steel ammo, including one of my own. when I was young, dumb and broke I bought what was cheapest a simple failure to eject left a deep gouge in my handgun (9mm 115gr tula if memory serves). Take it from me shoot brass doubt risk it.
You keep shooting your brass & leave it lay on the range.
I'll pick it up & trade it in for my cheap steel, Ooh thanks for buying my ammo for me!LOL
Here is what I shoot accurate, cheap, consistent Silver Bear.
http://shop.militaryshooters.com/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=140211&pid=1030072

Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #23

First I have a brass catcher and reload..so sorry not getting my brass. Second the ar is a great platform I run several however the handgun story was a personal experience, simply why I choose not to run steel. Ill post what I feel the risk are later. Im trying to drive...

Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #24

I simply feel the money I have invested in my guns is not the risk of purchasing cheap ammo also I reload so quality control is all on me. Also I am not a high volume shooter I prefer accuracy over volume besides I shot enough in the corps. If you chose to shoot steel more power to you. Im simply trying to give a new shooter a different and alternative view. I gave the handgun story bc it happened to me I cant comment on the ar bc I refuse to shoot steel through it. However if I was to I would go with hornady steel match.. Just saying

Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's my goal as well. I don't want a newcomer to not purchase an AR or settle w/ a sub par rifle because they think they have to spend a small fortune on ammunition when steel is more than adequate for training/range purposes.

The money I save per case pays for my range time each month.

Edit: posting from my phone while at work and left out a key word.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-24-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #26

no! Def buy the ar! I love mine and have several of them ultimately it is every shooters decision what ammo to shoot. steel ammo has come along way from what the old men tell stories of and SHOULD be considered ESPECIALLY if training is paid for out of one's own pocket. Federal and lake city are great brass bulk rounds if you choose to go the brass route, I say out of experience. steel through my ar...experience is zero. I speak about the steel I bought, clarified again as tula 115gr 9mm. It gouged my gun and on that personal experience alone I choose not to risk it. I warn take ALL opinions, including mine, with a grain of salt. talk to gun smiths as well when deciding ammo and gun purchase not just the guy behind the counter( I was behind the counter three years studying as a smith now) hope this helps!