Ar-15 question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ar-15 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I run 6 different ar platforms the one in my profile pic is the one I just built. In order to figure out which ammo works best for your rifle worry more about accuracy and not necessarily cleanest. Try remington umc, winchrster white box, hornady(i like vmax), and pay attention to your twist rate ie1:9 or 1:10 this will determine the weight or bullet you wiSh to fire.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
Wolf is the most fouling ammo you can purchase
i thought tul ammo was lol

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just finished off 2500 rounds, 1500 Tula/1000 Wolf, w/ 3 issues (1 hard primers w/ Wolf and 2 failure to chamber w/ Tula HP). During this time the only maintenance performed was a single wipe-down and re-lube.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Tula and wolf are not real brands of ammo they are communist death traps.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenson07 View Post
Tula and wolf are not real brands of ammo they are communist death traps.
How so? ..

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #16

Dirty as all get out, steel cased, inconsistent power loads..in my opinion not worth it. Unless the gun is a mil-surp weapon ie mosin,sks, ak, etc. I would never run steel through it. The risk far outweighs the reward. I have seen receivers on guns gored due to a stoppage with steel ammo, including one of my own. when I was young, dumb and broke I bought what was cheapest a simple failure to eject left a deep gouge in my handgun (9mm 115gr tula if memory serves). Take it from me shoot brass doubt risk it.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Besides that, the Russian made steel cased ammo like Tula exhibits horrible quality control. Relatively high number of squibs. Our range has seen more than one gun go to pieces after a squib left a bullet in the barrel. I figure if I can afford an AR-15, I can afford to run decent ammo in it.

Also, the Russian ammo has been going up in price and the price difference isn't as much as it used to be. I was buying 9mm at Wal Mart the other day and noticed that Tula 9mm were $9.95 for a box of 50. Federal Champion, in the 100 round value box are $19.95. Actually a few pennies cheaper then the Tula.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenson07 View Post
Dirty as all get out, steel cased, inconsistent power loads..in my opinion not worth it. Unless the gun is a mil-surp weapon ie mosin,sks, ak, etc. I would never run steel through it. The risk far outweighs the reward. I have seen receivers on guns gored due to a stoppage with steel ammo, including one of my own. when I was young, dumb and broke I bought what was cheapest a simple failure to eject left a deep gouge in my handgun (9mm 115gr tula if memory serves). Take it from me shoot brass doubt risk it.
What risks? I honestly want to know. I've ran over 500 rounds of Wolf through my ARs since this past Sat. w/o any issues. I just got home from the range and have plans to shoot more this coming Sat. I'll be pushing 700 or more this week. Daniel Defense, BCM, and LWRC. Hell the LWRC is probably puching $3.5k and I don't flench putting Tula, Wolf or anything through it.

I can't really talk on handguns, I only shoot them when I have to, plus the title of the thread is "Ar-15 questions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
Besides that, the Russian made steel cased ammo like Tula exhibits horrible quality control. Relatively high number of squibs. Our range has seen more than one gun go to pieces after a squib left a bullet in the barrel. I figure if I can afford an AR-15, I can afford to run decent ammo in it.

Also, the Russian ammo has been going up in price and the price difference isn't as much as it used to be. I was buying 9mm at Wal Mart the other day and noticed that Tula 9mm were $9.95 for a box of 50. Federal Champion, in the 100 round value box are $19.95. Actually a few pennies cheaper then the Tula.
I don't really ever shoot past 100 yds., really no reason for it anymore, and don't see much of a difference b/w Tula/Wolf and XM193 (the 3 I use most). It's been consistant for me to date.

How many is relatively high numbers of squibs? Slight over exhageration? I personally have heard of just a handfull of squibs that have cause a KB and if I'm not mistaken they were all using some sort of brass cased factory ammunition.

Maybe I'm just somehow super lucky. I guess YMMV. But most of the hard use, high round count guys (1k+ in a weekend) write about using Wolf for training. Can't be to bad.

99% of steel case gets it's bad reputation from outdated information, poorly manufactured ARs, and wife's tales.

Can't really comment on steel case through handguns.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5953 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

Can't really comment on steel case through handguns.
Steel case works just fine in handguns. I've used a ton of it in my Glocks, SIGs and Beretta.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
steel case works just fine in handguns. I've used a ton of it in my glocks, sigs and beretta.
m&p9?.....

-John Ruskin

Quote: