Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Ar-15 question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ar-15-question-58694/)

ar15noob 02-24-2012 08:28 PM

Ar-15 question

Hello...as you can tell from my user I am a noob when it comes to the ar-15 platform. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. What is best " clean" ammo as I hear it is a dirty platform? Is 223 rem better than 5.56 NATO? Sorry if this is mundane but look to you guys for some guidance. Thanks.

JonM 02-24-2012 08:42 PM

its no dirtier than any other centerfire. just depends on what parts you prefer spending more time cleaning. some people think that because the ar15 gas tube ejects gas into the receiver area its bad or worse than other designs. its not its just different. instead of having to grind the crud off a gas piston and oprod you get to clean the bolt and receiver area. still gotta clean the same amount of crud just different areas.

556 and 223 differences can be confusing. do not fire 556 out of a barrel marked 223. you can fire 223 out of a 556. reason being is some but not all 556 can have thicker case walls increasing the pressure curve to dangerous levels in a 223 chamber.

ar15noob 02-24-2012 10:39 PM

Thanks jonm. Much appreciated. Any particular "brand" of 223 or 556 you think is best. My locals suck and are not nice to noobs like me. Sad but true and I find myself having to go to forums for ANY help.

purehavoc 02-24-2012 11:03 PM

For brands get a box of 3-4 different brands and see what runs thru it and what doesn't , if ur paying much more than $6.99 a box of 20 its to much . Also be sure to try steel case ammo and see if it will run . U shouldn't be paying much more than .$5.50 for a box of 20 on it either , I buy it ay Walmart if I'm in there for less than $5 a box

mjkeat 02-24-2012 11:18 PM

Picked up some Wolf from Aimsurplus for roughly $3.75 per 20 2 or so weeks ago. Hoping to finish up the first half case this weekend. VA Edu Ben check hasn't arrived yet so shooting has been putt on the back burner for a couple weeks.

sniper762 02-29-2012 02:57 AM

Wolf is the most fouling ammo you can purchase

smoooth308 02-29-2012 05:36 AM

All I can say is like one of the other responses. DO NOT SHOOT 5.56 rounds out of a rifle that is designed for .223. military grade 5.56 rounds are a higher pressure round, where as the .223 is lower pressure. Even though they are the same round, they are completely different. An AR-15 designed to shoot 5.56 can shoot .223 all day, but if you shoot 5.56 through a rifle designed to shoot .223 your gonna have some major problems that can end up severely hurting or even killing you.

But now that we have that covered, my AR-15 is one of my favorite firearms to shoot. Accurate, little recoil, and with all the aftermarket parts it's pretty much up too you on how you want it set up.

Mine is chambered in 5.56 and if you start by making sure yours is as well, you will have no major problems. Mine is spikes tactical model and has worked like a charm since I got it. No FTF or FTE since I've purchased it and I've put almost 1500 rounds through it.

Good luck bud and please post any more questions you might have...

smoooth308 02-29-2012 05:38 AM

Btw I shoot xm193 through mine. It's the same ammo they send to our troops over seas. And is meant to last through the harshest conditions

treehugger49 02-29-2012 12:08 PM

Be advised that if you choose to shoot steel cased ammo, it may void your manufacturer's warranty.

I'm not a high volume shooter, and, for the price difference, prefer to shoot brass-cased ammo.

The M-193/M-855 military offerings are not as accurate as some factory loads as well, if that is a consideration for you.

JonM 02-29-2012 12:22 PM

In a properly put together and functional ar15 with a chromed chamber steel cased ammo will work fine. Just remember steel cased ammo is very inconsistant in charge weights and bullet weights. Steel doesnt expand to seal the chamber as well as brass does and there is some blowback into the bolt area. This can cause fouling issues in extreme cases.

Accuracy is dependent on the consistancy of the rounds and the individual rifle. The only way to know what works best accuracy and reliability wise is to buy small ammounts of whatever brand and get after it.

In general its wise to start with a brand that is known to deliver the performance you want. I cant recomend a specific brand because i havent shot factory ammo in my ar15 rifles since the early 90's. I can make cheaper more accurate reloads than whats on the shelf.