Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AR-15 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 problems

I'm having trouble with the bolt on my Rock River AR sticking, after you chamber a round and shoot it, the bolt freezes and is almost impossible to pull open. I have tried powered graphite and WD-40 which work for awhile, but after continuous shooting the problem arises again. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #2

How old is the gun. Has it been shot a lot. It could be a number of problems. Check for a loose carrier key. Check your cam pin for unusual wear. Look at the bolt lugs see if there is any unusual wear. Is the bolt getting stuck or just not cycling. Look at the the portion of the gas tube that goes into the carrier key. It might not be aligned properly if it's not there will be unusual wear on one side of it. It is hard to diagnose a malfunction with out getting your hands on the rifle. Stupid question but is it clean? 90% of malfunctions are due to a dirty gun.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #3

Just reread ur post. Check the gas tube and carrier key. If they are not aligned properly the bolt carrier will bind up. Look for unusual wear marks on the gas tube it will show there before the key will.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

WD-40 isn't a lube. Buy some good weapon lubricant. If nothing else is available, get some oil from your car's dipstick and use that on the bolt, and keep it slightly wet.

Properly clean the chamber and bore with a good cleaner.

Check for loose/properly staked screws in the carrier key. Check the rings on the bolt

Have you tried using different ammo, and what ammo are you using?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 03-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is this an AR you built or a complete rifle that you bought somewhere? Was it new or used when you got it?

Make sure the spring detent that holds the buffer into the receiver extension isn't draging on the back of the bolt bottom.

Also make sure your charging handle is installed right and not dragging on the bolt. It could even be bent some.

My RRA is smooth as silk, you obviously have something that's not right going on.