Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AR 15 help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR 15 help

im thinking of getting an AR with a varmint 18" barrel and a flat upper reciever. i want to practice at sniping what would be a good scope to use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

What are you going to be Sniping and at what distances? The type of reticle may depend on the prey. Animal or Paper. What is your budget range?

Give us a little to help you.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
What are you going to be Sniping and at what distances? The type of reticle may depend on the prey. Animal or Paper. What is your budget range?

Give us a little to help you.
sniping at paper around 4-5 hundred yards. my budget 1800 with gun

Last edited by dtsagnt777; 02-14-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: add more

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What is sniping?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
What is sniping?
I think that is the other term used for snipe hunting. (you know, the brown bag in the woods).

Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
What is sniping?
Sniping is a verb that is done by qualified H.O.G.'s - Hunters of Gunmen. They are professionally trained snipers and they make the battlefield a living hell for the enemy.

In Vietnam they averaged a kill ratio of 1:7 - that is one kill for every 7 rounds fired by US forces in Vietnam.

Basically it is what every long range shooter wishes they could do. A cold bore, long range, on target hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
For the record please refrain from using the term SNIPER or SNIPING. You are not a trained sniper so you don't own nor can you own a sniper rifle.

Welcome to the board.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!

We have no H.O.G.'s on this forum, with the possible exception of two guys I know through PM and postings. A "sniper" is a specialized skillset that is owned by probably 1/100th of the people on line who claim it.

I know as much about combat/military sniping as anyone out there through a library the size of a standard bedroom, but I am FAR from even being a P.I.G., let alone a H.O.G.

JD

Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Gutter Snipe are my favorite.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #8

ok i guess sniping is the wrong term. what want to do is practice long range accuracy

Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Tango gave you some great options. Don't be afraid of a big scope, you can't hit what you can't see. I topped my recently completed AR with a 6-24x50 on top of a 20" bull barrel and I couldn't be happier. It's heavy but accurate.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

I certainly second what spittinfire stated and advised. We always told the students the first day of OS class. You can not shoot what you can not see! Followed by telling them most people have it all wrong! If you did it correctly. You need to get the best glass (Scope) you can afford and save the rest for the rifle. Anyway, do not forget that with a nice scope you will need like a Scout Rail that Rock River makes or some other company's Scope Ring Adapter to be able to mount the scope farther forward on the flat top for correct eye relief on the AR. Otherwise you may have a real problem since without, the top elevation turret on the scope strikes the rear of the front scope ring and will keep you from getting the proper eye relief you need and cheek weld when shooting.
For the optimal position of the scope the Eye Piece should be exactly even with the rear edge of the Charging Handle. The 20" Varmint would be the optimum for Long Range accuracy. But if you are going to be doing some timely walking with the rifle the 18 would serve the need. Good Luck with your choice. 03

Newest Threads