Anyone Still Like the Short Mags?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Anyone Still Like the Short Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #1

Default Anyone Still Like the Short Mags?

I am referring to the various WSM cartridges of various calibers. I read the article about them in the April Rifle magazine as I assume many of you have also. When they came out in the early 90's I had my doubts. I just could not get interested, yet one of my friends thought they were the greatest thing since the proverbial sliced bread. They sure didn't last long and I am not surprised. When cartridges that have been around for over 100 years like the .30-06, 7x57, 8x57, and etc. can and still do it all, it's no wonder that the short mags failed to catch on. To me, they don't even look condusive to reloading and now, that may be the only way to keep one of them shooting. What were rifle and cartridge makers thinking? Just a classic example of you can't reinvent the wheel and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, if you have one and like it, more power to you.
ct

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I absolutely love my 300wsm. Very accurate and works like a charm. Can really reach out there if I need to as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Who said they have not caught on? I love my 270 WSM and know several other people who use them as well. They reload just fine, brass is thick and a little stiff FL resizing but other then then I have no gripe. The 270 WSM is very similar to my 7mm Rem Mags in terms of speed and power, just a little less recoil even with the same weight bullets and I have been able to get my WSM grouping a little tighter then any of my 7mms.
I like them my next 300 mag will be a short mag.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My next rifle build is going to be a 7mm wsm on a custom receiver you can't beat them at 1000 yards without developing a masochistic streak. Sure the ballistics on a 300 win mag look better on paper but getting single digit standard deviation out of them is a pain and at long ranges consistency is the key. I have two close friends who bought 300 wsm tikka rifles and they have both been thrilled with them. I was so impressed that I bought a Tikka in 7 mm. And I have regretted not getting the short mag since my first trip to the range.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 33

On the Winchester short magnums, the case is optimized for 30 caliber.

The further you go away from 30 caliber with that case, the less efficient it is.

The single most serious problem associated with the short magnums is that many gun makers chamber them in barrels that are either too short, or way too short.

Twenty-four inches should be the minimum there, and twenty-six inches would be much better. Since most short magnum rifles are manufactured with barrels of minimum size or less, they are louder and less efficient than they could - and should be.

A lot of this stems from gun-writers who should know better, touting the short magnums as the perfect match for "compact" rifles - just because they can be shoe-horned into short actions.

Put a compact magnum in a regular action so that the heavier bullets associated with long range shooting and big game can be seated out, then use a 26" barrel - and you've got something good.

But none of the manufacturers do that.

Duh.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-21-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

the only "short" magnum im interested in is the 458 winchester magnum. technically not a 90's wsm but its short compaired to the nitro express cartridges it is duplicating.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'd say firing bullets with ballistic coefficients between .580 and .625 at 3000 fps is pretty darn efficient. Now if I was looking at energy in ft/lbs I would agree wholeheartedly. However I'm looking to print holes in paper not knock down a moose. I suppose efficiency would at some level be a matter of perspective.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
They sure didn't last long and I am not surprised.
I admit, I'm one of those who never really saw the point of the short magnums. For the most part they seemed to me to be more or less duplicating the performance of existing cartridges.

That said, while they never attained the level of popularity of the 7mm or .300 magnums I don't think they have really died and they still seem to have a small but dedicated following.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They usually fall a little short of full magnum performance but they are a heck of a lot easier to make consistent. I have seen WITH MY OWN EYES a 300 wsm shoot ten shots through my chrono with a 7 fps deviation from the fastest to the slowest bullet. That level of precision is staggering coming from a hunting rifle and it has made me a believer.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

People always say they fall short of the regular magnums, but a friend of mine and I used a crono to compare his 300 wm to my 300wsm and they were almost identical up to a 210 grain bullet. I realize there are lots of variables, but I think the difference is minimal, especially for what you gain in my opinion.