Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Anyone shoot an SMLE regularly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i BOUGHT MY smle IN 1970 FROM A NREWSPAPER AD IN sAN dIEGO WHEN THAT WAS STILKL possible. Ive sho probably 2000 rounds through itbut not in the last fiew years but will start again soon it would pu three round inside of two inches at 100 yards prone no problem.IT"s a 1945 no 4 mkI long branch probanly carried by some Canadian sloder through the end of WW II and Korea. bores are bit worn but still feeds well and put em where you point it. I Pulled all the military wood and put a Herter's sporter stock on mine for asthetics. handes well and looks good. I"ve shot several muke deer with it and use it to hunt elk. am now saving to buy a Garand from CMP.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #12
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SMLEs or smileys as we know em generally are the staple of anyone who owns rural land.
they are just everywhere, I generally part with between 40 and 100 NZdollars to get one in rough, but totally sound condition.
Give it a new finish on the stock and polish and reblue some parts and bam, its something worth something again.

I liked it, boomy and cumbersome. though the ammo we were using was old milsurplus and seemed to have a few milliseconds of delay before firing.
made it quite interesting.

Ps Try shooting a rabbit with one of these, you dont even need to hit the bugger.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #13

Default Smle

Yes - I shoot a SMLE Mk III - I just shot a 100 pound wild boar with it this year in West Texas.

It is not extremely smooth, it's not particularly accurate, and it kicks like a mule, but I love it anyway. Without question, it is an amazing piece of history. No other rifle has served in as many armed conflicts over history than the British 303 and in so many ways it represented a move to the 'modern' military rifle, when introduced a century and a quarter ago.

My advice would be to use it within its' limits. Don't try to scope it -I have found that for shots I can confidently shoot with the open sights, the rifle can make the shot too. If I tried to make 250 yard shots with a scope - well, the rifle is just not quite that accurate.

It should serve you well - as it did the British Empire for half a century. Enjoy shooting, and owning a piece of history.

Last edited by ozark_al; 01-11-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
I have an old Lee-Enfield I bought at an auction 15 years for next to nothing. I've never shot it. Anything special I should be concerned with when firing this piece for the first time in a long time? It has been inspected my a gunsmith.
I do and have a lot of fun with it! It is a strong weapon and shoots well. I purchased mine almost fifty years ago and it still being shot at least once a month! Don't worry about it! Use it!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #15

Good rifles. They will, however, develop headspace problems. They were designed so you could change the bolt head to make up for this, and they sold No 1, 2, and 3 style bolt heads, each a bit longer than the one before it.

Can't find the No 3 boltheads any more.