Anyone do this?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Anyone do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone do this?

Hey guys. As i wrote in my introduction i only have use of my left arm due to a stroke i had when i was three (no use of my right). so when i am holding up a rifle i put it against my left shoulder, but the only thing is, i cant close my right eye without my left eye closing as well. I think it has something to due with my stroke, but anyway has anyone ever done or seen someone else wearing an eye patch over one of there eyes when shooting a rifle?

Thanks Guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

my great grandfather had something (I don't remember what) that happened to his eye he was blind in his left eye and couldn't blink with the eye either he always wore an eye patch... still was a pretty damn good shot.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I've seen shooters that blacked one lens of their shooting glasses.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've seen all kinds of gimmicks used by competition shooters to block vision from one eye without having to close the eye lid. Let your imagination run with it.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You have to do what works and go with what you have. I am not sure why but I have never been able to close only my left eye while keeping my right eye open. I can close only my right eye. I am right-handed and remember having trouble shooting rifles because I could not line up a sight picture. In Army basic training a drill instructor observed that I had this problem and had me shoot left-handed. Shooting left-handed worked very well for me and I have shot this way ever since, for the last forty years. Shooting left-handed also allows me to use my stronger arm to hold the rifle steady.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

Ok so this is not that uncommon then, thats good to know!! I will just have to try different things and see what works best. thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful with my questions!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Howdy, Jeff! My former boss was a hemiplegic- his right side (injury to spinal cord as infant)

The eye dominance thing, as folks have said, is not uncommon with a LOT of shooters. You can do the pirate thing (funny hat and parrot optional) or try some simple things, like this-

eye_dominance.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Im right handed, but left eye dominet. What i used to train my self is simple and cheap. On my shootin glass i used Scotch tape on one eye. It blurse the sight, but leaving enought sight not to trip.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

I have always shot w/ both eyes open. I thought that was pretty much normal.
cottontop

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

great ideas guys! I didnt know that there were so many people who couldnt close one eye and have the other open. Thanks for all the ideas, they all seem like they would work just fine. As usual im going to have to eliminate till i find one that works best for me.

Thanks!
Jeff