Anybody familiar with the "G1" built by Century?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Anybody familiar with the "G1" built by Century?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default Anybody familiar with the "G1" built by Century?

Home Page

Anybody familiar with Century's version of this rifle? Did they do a good job on this one, or did the CETME assembler monkeys of yore have a party with them? Any comments on the G1/FAL rifle in general? Do you think it would be reliable; what about accuracy? Can it eat the surplus ammo from Great Britain that is available, or does the ".308 win" in the description mean "new .308 ammo only, no surplus 7.62 stuff".

I like the looks of this rifle & the op rod reliability, but i don't have the fun budget at the moment. I would be looking for a SHTF/longer range plinker/maybe pop a deer -type rifle. I also really like the look of this thing.

Are there any notorious failures i may not have heard of?

P.S. I know i am always lusting after some firearm or other, but i have managed to resist the glocks & AR's.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The FAL is a cult unto its self. I do not know too much about them except;
There are inch pattern versions and metric pattern versions.
Most internal parts are specific to the pattern.
Inch guns will take either mag. Metric guns only accept metric mags. The Century build says it comes with two metric mags and is reportedly built on Belgian parts. It should be a metric version.
They are 7.62 X 51 not .308.
With the adjustable gas system, they are tolerant of a wider range of ammo than the HK/CETME rifles.
They are reported to be easier to build than the HK/CETME, thus harder for the monkeys to screw up.
I have an HK and a CETME, but have always wanted an FAL. I did not see a price, any idea?
SHTF rifle? Hard to beat. Not quite as accurate as a good M1-A. Not quite as reliable as a good HK (IMHO). The gas system can foul, but you can crank it open to compensate for fouling.

The one down side that I know of. These are very strong rifles (that's a down side?). They will hold together to about 120,000 psi and when they come apart, they kill the operator. The Brits lost one or two soldiers a year to FAL's "going grenade". Don't get the barrel clogged with mud and you have nothing to worry about.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I hope I did not just kill the thread.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

I don't think so. I have a friend that loves my Cetme, he has a real nice FAL. I can out shoot him w/ my Cetme and Hensoldt scope w/ Stanlag mount. His has a commercial scope and mount. He cheaped out. Great rifle. BTW we both shoot my 7.62x51 German ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Century CETME and love it. Something about the FAL stock shape just doesn't agree with the shape of my noggin...... I can't use the iron sights on it.
I always considered the CETME/HK much more forgiving of ammo variance, since it does NOT have that pesky and sometimes cantankerous gas system.
CETME balance seems better centered too, without that gawd-aweful long barrel......

But I know a LOT of guys love their "Right arms of the Free World"......

Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I had several FALs back in the 80's & '90's and loved them. They were 100% reliable and plenty accurate. But they have crappy triggers and sights. The triggers can be cleaned up a bit, and mounting optics is easy. I never had any issues with the gas system, and these rifles were designed for use by conscripts, not riflemen. They are robust.

The monkeys at Century MAY make a bunch of lemons, though. The FAL receiver is the critical component and they are not easily machined.

The DSA FALs are really nice, and if I was going to get back into FALs and could not find another Belgian (or SAI SAR48) I'd go with a DSA.

The FAL will eat 7.62x51 or .308. Dial in the gas and you are GTG.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Sorry, the interweb isn't working well at the house. Price-wise, Classicarms.us has them for $650, i bleve; it's from CAI, so probably any FFL place could call up to find out what CAI's price is.

For some weird reason, i REALLY like the forestock or handguard on this particular model.

Classic Arms Inc. Yep, $649, first item listed.

I gotta see about coming up with a lil cash. That is much less than the new ones i've seen from DSA, i bleve. I don't think my abilities justify the price of a top notch rifle, but i probably could measure up to the average conscript (maybe this explains why i love my SKS so much).

Last edited by orangello; 07-21-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Sorry, the interweb isn't working well at the house. Price-wise, Classicarms.us has them for $650, i bleve; it's from CAI, so probably any FFL place could call up to find out what CAI's price is.

For some weird reason, i REALLY like the forestock or handguard on this particular model.

Classic Arms Inc. Yep, $649, first item listed.

I gotta see about coming up with a lil cash.
Do they have a good warranty? If so, buy one. FAL's rock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hmmm, I'll have to check out the warranty on Century's site, good point.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

A friend of mine bought the Century L1A1 FAL and had problems right out of the box.

He took it to my boss because the action wasn't cycling properly.
It would cycle back about half an inch and stop, you would have to manually work the action.

After several hours of head scratching between my boss and I, and trying everything we knew to do, we decided to try something different.

This particular rifle has two recoil springs, one inside the other in the butt stock.
We removed the inner recoil spring, leaving only the outer spring, and much to our amazement, that fixed the problem, it worked perfectly after that.

It is a fun rifle to shoot, I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, I'm saying you gotta watch Century's quality control.. If you buy one and have the same problem, now you have an idea of what to try. Make sure, if you ever have to remove the recoil springs, that you shove a cleaning rod through the spring retaining nut and the spring before you try to remove or replace the springs. It would be quite dangerous trying to remove the spring without that guide, and impossible to reinstall it without using the rod as a guide.