Any way to justify adding a laser light combo to my riifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Any way to justify adding a laser light combo to my riifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any way to justify adding a laser light combo to my riifle?

Debating adding a laser/light combo over my scope. It seems like it would be relatively cheap addition.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I would advise to get a cheap one first, to be sure it's for you. Some people swear by them, but I can't seem to make it work for me. I don't know why. It's not the gun or the laser, it's me. Since its a Crimson trace set on one of my 1911's, it cost me over $300 to find out I don't like the laser.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

The truth of the matter is, most people would be better served to by buying lots ammo and shooting it often, with iron sights, then to invest in lights, lazers, scopes etc. Electronics and scopes certainly serve a purpose, but iron sights will never have a flat battery or a broken lens when you need them the most.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Chainfire is right, a lot of shooters will dump loads of cash into a new fangled gadget to help them shoot better.
When the only real help they need is practice. Get out there & dump some ammo through your gun & get to know it again.
The only rifle I would put a laser/light combo on is a shotgun or a pistol cal. rifle used for home defense.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not sure about the rest of you but my eyes are not what they used to be so I need the aid of a good scope to help me out ..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I don't like lasers. If you think about it they can really only be sighted in for one distance, or maybe two if you get it over or under the bore exactly center. Lasers shoot a straight beam and your bullet trajectory is an arc, so teh bullet is only right on at the moment of distance that the bullet crosses the path.

Lasers work are bright and visible, so you have to ask what you are using it for. It can alert game that is not color blind. It can alert a bad guy to your location by drawind a straight line back to you. Most inexpensive lasers are not really well made and don't tend to hold zero well or stand up to abuse.

The best place I can find for a laser is on a handgun where ranges are short and stalth is not likely an issue. Rifles? Maybe on a military rifle using a military grade laser with infrared spectrum, so only folks with night vision can see it.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5702 Times on 3223 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

I would only put a laser on a rifle if it was an invisible infra red laser to be used with night vision googles. I see no use for a laser if your opponent can see it.

Winston Churchill

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Visible lasers can be fun for teasing the cat. (before anyone says you shouldn't point a gun with a mounted laser at anything you aren't willing to kill or destroy, you need to understand that I don't like cats unless they are stir fried or slow cooked.)

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdex851
Debating adding a laser/light combo over my scope. It seems like it would be relatively cheap addition.
Sorry, I replied earlier with pistols in mind. If for a rifle, I'm with the other guys. I vote no.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sure, move into an abandoned coal mine & don't run the lights.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.