Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Any demand for aftermarket Howa barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any demand for aftermarket Howa barrels?

I'm thinking about getting a M1500 and selling everything but the action. Is there much demand for these? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

Actually Howa sells just barreled actions. They include the barreled action, trigger and trigger gaurd/ floor plate. It should cost somewhere in the vicinity of $400 depending on whether you want a heavy barrel, sporter barrel or one of the above in stainless steel. In answer to your question though, I haven't seen much of a market for a Howa barrel, but put it on gunbroker and see if someone wants it. Check with a local dealer for the barreled action. If they aren't familiar with it they can call Legacy (importers of the Howa guns) or if they are in the east Jerry's Sport Center is the distributor that has, or had, them exculsively.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since I shoot Left handed, I guess I'll stick with the Remington. If I could have gotten a Howa action cheap, it might be worth it. I really want match grade accuracy.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_50 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a M1500 and selling everything but the action. Is there much demand for these? Thanks.
Probably not much but unless you have a very special need in mind do yourself a favor and shoot the 1500 before you go dumping the barrel. Most 1500 I've played with were sub MOA out of the box even before getting bedded on to good stocks. Why throw out a great shooting barrel?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A light contour barrel, such as comes with most hunting rifles, will not take the heat and maintain dialed in accuracy for repetitive shooting. These barrels will "walk". POI will change and grouping will open up as barrel heats up.

In my experience factory barrel take off's, even new unused ones, have little to no value when it comes to trying to sell them.

Factory recievers that have been blue printed and trued cost near as much as buying an aftermarket billet reciever such as Surgeons, GAP, Pierce, BAT, etc..

The down fall of spending money on blueprinting and trueing a factory reciever is that if you ever want to sell the rifle it will be worth no more than any other rifle with a stock factory reciever.

A Remington 700 reciever that has been tured and blueprinted and a bull barrel added to the mix (such as a Krieger #9 MTU) with a good trigger such as a Jewell, and a use specific stock will kick arse in most competitions. However, you will have alot of $$$ tied up in it that you would never be able to come close to recover if you decided to sell.

Now most of these aftermarket bolt action recievers are externally patterned like a Remington 700 reciever as more stocks, triggers, DBM's, etc.. are available for the Remington 700. With one of these recievers you'll be within a couple of hundred or so $$$ over a trued and blueprinted factory 700 reciever and if you ever decided to sell you'll usually get not much less than the $$$ you originally put into it.

Depending on the caliber you go with, barrels will have to be changed out every so often to maintain good persicion. A .243 or or .300 Win. Mag., for example, have relitively short barrel life for percision compaired to some other calibers.

Just my 2 cents worth here with my limited experience.