Another rifle recommendation, maybe a cartridge? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Another rifle recommendation, maybe a cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

DogOne, i think you need to realize that there is more to shooting a 1000 yards than you're ready for. highly doubtful that a $500 bolt gun is going to get there, doubtful a $1000 AR in 308 is going to get there either. 1000 yards is a very long shot and a long time the bullet is in the air getting to the target. have you given any thought to how much you are going to spend on the scope? rule of thumb on scopes, quality glass ain't cheap. if you can't see he target, you can't hit the target, period. you need to plan on spending a $1000 or more on just the scope, and probably closer to $1500 or more for quality glass to be able to shoot at a 1000 yards or more. what about ammo? are you going to reload? if not, then you will be spending lots of money for premium ammo to shoot longer ranges. have you ever shot a 300 Win. Mag.? it has some massive recoil! try shooting one about 100-150 times in a day and then tell us how good your shoulder feels! shooting long ranges is about much time spent behind the trigger and shooting. try out the 300 W. M. and you will see what we are trying to tell you. there is much more than just buying a rifle and slapping a scope on it and going out and shooting a 1000 yards. i think you will find it much harder than you think.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thanks for the good lookin, axxe. but i must say. 500yds is easy as hell, cake walk. being told 800 aint to hard with a .308 with some good practice. apparently the laws of physics for that additional 200yds, go awry. im not being a smart ass but thats what i understand now.

so if i am to understand that i cant do it, fine. can it be done for 800 with a .300? what about 700? because if i have to buy a $1000 bolt rifle to go past 500yds without hand loading or special calibers is a bullsh-t waste of money...for me, not generally everybody cause i know some cool people with bolt guns.

yes, i have fired a .300. also a .308, .303, 7.62-54r, 7mm, 8mm, and yes they do hurt, oh well ill live. i frac for a living, ill get over a sore shoulder along with my sore everything else. Thats the good thing about shooting, the pain from it gets addictive, like tattoos.

im sorry if it appears im arguing about it, im just talking from the lower half of the spectrum. if i can put 20 rounds in a row into the chest of a silhouette target at 500yds with dirt covered government surplus ammo, a rifle that had to be at least from the gulf war, a fu-ked up rear sight, and the foot from a DI on my back, it has to be possible to hit...a car? - at 1000yds with a good rifle and a good scope, from there i can work. i dont see why everything has to be bad ass top of the line to accomplish the same crap...or maybe thats just my nature.

I don't think I'm cool enough to play Spartan shouting "Molon Labe!". I'll just stick to being an American, firmly saying "Dont Tread On Me".

Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well if you think it's doable then who am i to try and reason with you and explain the logistics of shooting long ranges. trying to explain any further will just be a waste of my time. if you think that it can be done on a $500 budget, i wish you luck! might want to do some reading up on the subject and do some learning and some more in depth research.

but the part that galls me is, you made this thread and now you seem to know more than the rest of us on the subject and that sir is pure arrogance. if you seemed to know so much more than the rest of us, why did you even bother to ask for our opinions or suggestions? don't sak for advice or suggestions and then throw it back in our faces as if you already know all the answers. that sir is just plain arrogant and rude. i for one am done with this thread, have a good evening.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

10-4, i have all the information i need. no back and forth online. having a disbelief of a subject and then being flamed for disagreeing on the difficulty of it. dont bother asking how a wheel works when you tell people youve driven before cause then you get bitched at for it. have a good one everybody.

I don't think I'm cool enough to play Spartan shouting "Molon Labe!". I'll just stick to being an American, firmly saying "Dont Tread On Me".

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #15

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOne View Post
10-4, i have all the information i need. no back and forth online. having a disbelief of a subject and then being flamed for disagreeing on the difficulty of it. dont bother asking how a wheel works when you tell people youve driven before cause then you get bitched at for it. have a good one everybody.
Without having any 1st hand experience on what you are talking about axxe has it right. 700 yards is a long way, 1000 yards. Forget a 500.00 rifle.

This is downright disrespectful.

qoute:
my experience is the rifle range i did in the corps every year. well every one else "did" it, i took it as a competition. im not going to spout the awards i got from it or the bets i cashed in on from SNCOs because eveyones a badass on the internet. Plus i expand on that growing up with my grunt father who would bet my allowance on if i could hit what he hit at such and such range. so my max i have shot is of course 500yds but to tell me "ohhh well, 1000 yds is reaaaallly reeeaaallly hard" i know thanks for the warning, but im going to try it anyway.
do i have enough land? hell no, but thankfully im in Texas where every inbreed good friend of mine has inherited enough land to become his own zip code. they want to shoot cause none of them know how in the first place. how do you own an AR and not know how to BZO it? qoute!

Funny, never have heard a Marine call any other military member that was their father a BS term. Was you all in da moter pool?? You are quite rude. Must be the inbreeding.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #16

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOne View Post
thanks for the good lookin, axxe. but i must say. 500yds is easy as hell, cake walk. being told 800 aint to hard with a .308 with some good practice. apparently the laws of physics for that additional 200yds, go awry. im not being a smart ass but thats what i understand now.

so if i am to understand that i cant do it, fine. can it be done for 800 with a .300? what about 700? because if i have to buy a $1000 bolt rifle to go past 500yds without hand loading or special calibers is a bullsh-t waste of money...for me, not generally everybody cause i know some cool people with bolt guns.

yes, i have fired a .300. also a .308, .303, 7.62-54r, 7mm, 8mm, and yes they do hurt, oh well ill live. i frac for a living, ill get over a sore shoulder along with my sore everything else. Thats the good thing about shooting, the pain from it gets addictive, like tattoos.

im sorry if it appears im arguing about it, im just talking from the lower half of the spectrum. if i can put 20 rounds in a row into the chest of a silhouette target at 500yds with dirt covered government surplus ammo, a rifle that had to be at least from the gulf war, a fu-ked up rear sight, and the foot from a DI on my back, it has to be possible to hit...a car? - at 1000yds with a good rifle and a good scope, from there i can work. i dont see why everything has to be bad ass top of the line to accomplish the same crap...or maybe thats just my nature.
WTF is a .300?? If those calibers hurt your shoulder, all except the .300WM if that is what you were refering too, you are in for a big suprise as they are all low pressure rounds and pretty much ***** cats in the cartridge world.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would recommend a 300 wsm. I have a tikka and got it for about that price. I LOVE that gun. I have a 9x scope on it and have no problem out to 700 yards on a 8 inch plate. Never tried anything further cause its too hard for me to find in my scope and I obliterate the Target. Put a limb saver pad on and you can shoot a whole box if you want. Yes rounds are expensive, but they are for any big cal. I just shoot the fusions.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #18

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

A standard 30.06 with a 180 grain SPBT comes to mind for

a "proper" cartridge size that's economical, for this intended purpose.

The ballistics are a whole 'nother animal...