Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   another pawn shop find.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/another-pawn-shop-find-90475/)

Blazede30 05-11-2013 01:26 AM

Found a 1907 german k98...now im still learning a lot about these rifles, but im unsure if it is in fact a german k98 because of the year.... It was butchered, i mean sporterized, so no bayonet mountn also, it does have the hole in the stock for the bolt assembly, but it has the swivel sling mounts underneath rather than the side mount and stock mount.... No cracks in the stock but it looks like it's lived an active life.... The stampings are pretty worn....

Ill post pics after i get thru my wonderful California 10 day waiting period... So we'll see if it was worth the $150.... Meanwhile, the hunt for some 8mm ammo begins....

HockaLouis 05-11-2013 01:31 AM

I'm already sure it's worth a buck and a half if it works -- have no buyer's regret.

303tom 05-11-2013 04:19 AM

Can`t waite to see it, here is you some ammo...................

http://www.jgsales.com/8mm-mauser-persian-surplus-196gr-fmj,-1000rd-case.-p-6817.html

Blazede30 06-05-2013 07:27 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Update: picked up and immediately wemnt into full inspection mode and i think its label was slightly inaccurate.. . Heres what i found....
Receiver/barrel (fairly pitted) is a 1907 Spandau Mauser G.E.W 98 S/42 with the 1920 treaty stamp and a bunch of randomly placed alphanumeric stamps underneath, No matching numbers, bolt seems to be swapped out (possibly aftermarket), stock also swapped and butchered, even the trigger is swapped out

The stock shows its age but no cracks.... Sights are intact.... Upon disassembly of the bolt, it appeared to be greased with a car grease-like grease...

For the most, i was able to clean off all the grease, hit it with clp, and give it a nice polish with 1200grit...... The stock is going thru its resurrection with a dark stain.... I was going to leave it, but it was already butchered and appears to have already been refinished, so im sure its value is already low, so i went for it...

All in all, i think its something special and i can wait to find ammo and start hit targets really far away.. Lol..

Blazede30 06-05-2013 07:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here goes some after pics... Stock is still in progress

FrontierTCB 06-05-2013 02:12 PM

Nice looking forward to seeing that stock.

Vikingdad 06-05-2013 02:24 PM

The barrel pitting is what worries me the most!:eek:

Blazede30 06-05-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1268258)
The barrel pitting is what worries me the most!:eek:

Yea... Im still contemplating whether or not i should shoot it... What could happen?... Besides replacing, are there options or repairs?

jpattersonnh 06-06-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazede30 (Post 1243086)
Found a 1907 german k98...now im still learning a lot about these rifles, but im unsure if it is in fact a german k98 because of the year.... It was butchered, i mean sporterized, so no bayonet mountn also, it does have the hole in the stock for the bolt assembly, but it has the swivel sling mounts underneath rather than the side mount and stock mount.... No cracks in the stock but it looks like it's lived an active life.... The stampings are pretty worn....

Ill post pics after i get thru my wonderful California 10 day waiting period... So we'll see if it was worth the $150.... Meanwhile, the hunt for some 8mm ammo begins....

GEW98 and K98k are not close to the same. 1907 Is GEW.

jpattersonnh 06-06-2013 12:17 AM

The bolt was cut, welded, bent. quite a mess. Don't worry about the pitting.
Upper handgaurd is ??? Rear sight was put on by bubba. The action is worth the $150.00. I would get a new bolt, check Sarco. Deside what type of rifle you really want and send it off to a smith that knows Mausers, or sell it as a barreled action to someone looking for a project rifle.