another new gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > another new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default another new gun

I picked up a 30-06 mauser action rifle the only markings on it say. U.S. Model OE 1917 Eddystone can anyone tell me anything about this riffle? Trying to get pics up but having a hard time so will have them up as soon as I can. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #2

the 1917 eddystone in .30-06 is the U.S. version of the 1917 enfield that was in .303 caliber.

here's one in it's original style:

or, i understand that a lot of these were "sporterized" after the war. this is what one of those might look like:

a friend of mine has a sporterized one (not the one from the above pic) that is a pretty good shooter and from what i've read in this forum about those guns, they are solid, especially if you have the original military style one with no modifications.

not really sure why you described yours as "mauser action" tho?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great rifle. Collecting and Shooting the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917 - HISTORY

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
the 1917 eddystone in .30-06 is the U.S. version of the 1917 enfield that was in .303 caliber.

here's one in it's original style:

or, i understand that a lot of these were "sporterized" after the war. this is what one of those might look like:

a friend of mine has a sporterized one (not the one from the above pic) that is a pretty good shooter and from what i've read in this forum about those guns, they are solid, especially if you have the original military style one with no modifications.

not really sure why you described yours as "mauser action" tho?
The 1917 uses a modified Mauser style action. Front locking lugs, full length extractor. Britain was planning to replace the SMLE and had the P14 in development when WW1 broke out, thereby stopping the transition. P14's were being made under contract by Remington, so when the US entered the war an effort to arm our troops with rifles included re-tooling the P14 to take the .30-06 round, and the 1917 was born.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The 1917 uses a modified Mauser style action. Front locking lugs, full length extractor. Britain was planning to replace the SMLE and had the P14 in development when WW1 broke out, thereby stopping the transition. P14's were being made under contract by Remington, so when the US entered the war an effort to arm our troops with rifles included re-tooling the P14 to take the .30-06 round, and the 1917 was born.
ok, now i know, thx for the info.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's a pic of my sporterized Eddystone:

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Here's a pic of my sporterized Eddystone:
That is the same rifle I got it is the sporterized I picked it up for 150.00 has a little rust on the barrel but the gun smith says it just needs reblued Have shot it and realy like the gun has a 3x9x40 leupold shot a group of 5 in a 1 in. group at 100yards. think I will use this for the first day of buck season this year. Can anyone tell the value of the gun? I also picked up one more rifle I will post soon.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If you bought it for $150, then the value is $150. Duh...LOL.

Nice rifle.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

Here are a couple more sporterized 1917's. I'm in love with the 1917 action. Am going to swap the stocks between the top two. The Monte Carlo stock is for scoped use, but the rifle in it has nice sights. The other one still sports the original rear sight and may get finished off as a .375H&H (with a scope). The bottom two are the same rifle, but the top pic is after painting the scope to match the metal. This rifle has a sewer pipe for a barrel but still shoots MOA. It sports a Bell and Carlson stock which is configured for scope use and is REALLY comfortable. These are excellent, strong actions and really FAST with the "cock on close" action.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #10

Got the first one swapped out. The second stock requires some inletting for the rear sight band.