Ammo selection
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Ammo selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo selection

Hello
I'm new to the forum and new to ar's. What im trying to figure out is what ammo should I shoot in my new gun it has a spikes st-fn 16in with 1 in 7 twist, BCM BCG, and st2 buffer. I would appreciate any opinions on choice
Thanks
And sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Since you have a 1:7 twist I wouldn't go much lighter than 55gr bullets. With such a fast twist you will get more stabilization using heavier grain bullets. You will just have to try a few different rounds and see what works best in your rifle. Just make sure what you're shooting matches what the gun is chambered for and you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited by jordan89; 05-12-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Gixxer,

The 1 in 7 will in all probability like ammunition around the 62-69+ grain area for max accuracy. Although it will also shoot the 55s OK but you will probably not get max accuracy with the lighter bullets due to the faster twist. To check out their max accuracy I would suggest Federal Gold Medal or Black Hills BT HP Match. For just shooting and still with accuracy you might look at American Eagle or Winchester White Box. Both are FMJs.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

OP, did you purchase the rifle so you can strap it to a bench and shoot groups? I'm guessing not since it's a 16" hammer forged barreled AR. Get a couple 20rd. boxes of Wolf or Tula 55 or 62 grain FMJ and see how it goes. The barrel/chamber should be w/i spec and able to run it. Just lube it w/ a quality product. The Spikes ST-T2 buffer may be a little heavy for the .223 steel cased but a carbine buffer is cheap and readily available.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the input I will for sure try all that was suggested. Also I didn't really build the gun for anything specific I just wanted one and thought it would be fun to build.