Am I the Only One? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Am I the Only One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21348 Times on 12115 Posts
Likes Given: 53218

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I agree with you 100%. With all of these facts known to be true, it just proves how marketing and gun writers can sway the public opinion on a specific cartridge. And actually sound the death nell for the "better" cartridge.
cottontop
i agree with both of you. marketing and gun writers sold more calibers than anything else. the 243 is a good cartridge but from a reloaders standpoint, the 244 is even better. bright side is as long as there are dies and cases and rifles, we will always be able to enjoy these fine and obscure calibers!
cottontop Likes This 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi guys. Im rather new to this whole forum experience. I am new to the whole hunting experience and i have started with a British .303 that has been sporterized by Parker Hale. For me this is as good a calibre as any other in its range. With hand loads and a dead rest i get 1-1.5 inch groups at 100m. It has a very managable recoil of only 14 pounds when using 150 grains. Ammo is readily available here in RSA. Although alot of people frown upon it (as the have probably only seen one fired that was in a poor conditlon) it will drop any buck with correct shot placement. We are only allowed 4 calibres as per our licence. My rifle is set up to hit 2inches high at 100m and dead on at 200m and 3inches low at 250m. Any further than that, then Im sure i can get closer. ; )

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #33

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
Who likes the more obscure cartridge calibers?
Not sure if the really count as "obscure" but I've always been fascinated with the various Wetherby magnum cartridges. I'd love to own a couple of rifles in say .257 and .300 Wby, but with the cost of factory ammo I can't really justify them until I start reloading.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasson View Post
Hi guys. Im rather new to this whole forum experience. I am new to the whole hunting experience and i have started with a British .303 that has been sporterized by Parker Hale. For me this is as good a calibre as any other in its range. With hand loads and a dead rest i get 1-1.5 inch groups at 100m. It has a very managable recoil of only 14 pounds when using 150 grains. Ammo is readily available here in RSA. Although alot of people frown upon it (as the have probably only seen one fired that was in a poor conditlon) it will drop any buck with correct shot placement. We are only allowed 4 calibres as per our licence. My rifle is set up to hit 2inches high at 100m and dead on at 200m and 3inches low at 250m. Any further than that, then Im sure i can get closer. ; )
I couldn't agree more. It's a great caliber and its just fun to shoot.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know what speeds a 303 will throw a 125gr down range at? Jst a rough estimate, otherwise i have to look for a smaller calibre thats a flat shooter for springbuck at 300-350yards. Any info will help. Thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasson View Post
Does anyone know what speeds a 303 will throw a 125gr down range at? Jst a rough estimate, otherwise i have to look for a smaller calibre thats a flat shooter for springbuck at 300-350yards. Any info will help. Thanks
I have no idea about the speed of a 125gr bullet? I always preferred heavy bullets around 180gr. Actually I prefer 175gr but I can't find them any more. The flat bullets give you a better trajectory but the heavy bullets hit like a truck, and they will still reach out there. I've dropped whitetails in their tracks at 300 yards with 180gr bullets. A 150gr should do everything you need but you will have to practice at longer distances to learn where to hold it?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop

I agree with you 100%. With all of these facts known to be true, it just proves how marketing and gun writers can sway the public opinion on a specific cartridge. And actually sound the death nell for the "better" cartridge.
cottontop
Doesn't the 6mm rem have trouble with heavy bullets because of the twist rate of the barrel ?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #38

Default 6mm Remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by me762 View Post
Doesn't the 6mm rem have trouble with heavy bullets because of the twist rate of the barrel ?

The original .244 Remington, based on a necked down 7x57 case, was introduced in 1955, I believe, and the barrels were given a slow 1 in 12 inch twist. This was great for stabilizing bullets 90 grains and under. This twist will stabilize the 100 grain round nose, however, but they are no longer made. A few years later, Remington changed the twist to 1 in 9 inches and renamed the cartridge 6mm Remington. Both the .244 and the 6mm are the exact same cartridge and will interchange. Ironically, the 90 grain bullet is now becoming popular as a deer and antelope bullet in the 6mm and the .243 Winchester. It just floors me that a cartridge as good as the .244
(6mm) would die just because of 10 grains of bullet weight. The 90 grain
(even the 87 grain) will kill deer and antelope just as well as the 100 grain. Just ask any .243 or 6mm owner who has hunted with it.
cottontop

Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #39

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Too many choices and something had to give. They release so many every coupla years and, like in Highlander, there can be only one...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 08-29-2012 at 11:35 AM.