Am I NuTz? Need Opinions on Monolithic Bullets
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Am I NuTz? Need Opinions on Monolithic Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Am I NuTz? Need Opinions on Monolithic Bullets

Hello,

The sight modification thing alone is not going to cut it as a business. However, I do want to make this work.

I was looking at bullets for reloading the Mosin-Nagant yesterday. Most .30 caliber bullets are .308", but MNs take .311 diameter bullets.

I'm going to be casting for them, no doubt -- but I'd like something more.

I got to looking at what is manufactured by whom, and I could find no monolithic copper bullets in .311", just .308".

I'm going to talk to a machinist, if I can find one who knows guns, about making a fixture that would allow me to either turn or swage copper (I do not know how much pressure I would need to swage, but it's likely a lot. I'll likely turn them).

Now, done right, these will be precision bullets. I'll have a flat nose on them as well so they'll have a bit of terminal performance for coyotes and such.

Besides being loadable in the MN, the SKS, AK47, .303 Enfield, and several others take this size bullet.

The one I'm basing things on will be optimized for a 1:9.5" twist, but depending upon jig manufacturing costs, I may make some that are a bit shorter and a bit longer as well. this would give the approximate lengths of 147grn, 180grn, and 200grn bullets.

Now, I need to gauge interest. These things would cleanly take coyote.

I need to know if there's interest, though. If I go to the trouble to set this up and sell them beside my sights so I can actually start operating as a business, would there be continued interest in them?

Thank you,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Barns is making them.

Barnes at MidwayUSA

Woodleigh makes bonded core bullets.

Woodleigh at MidwayUSA

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Barns is making them.

Barnes at MidwayUSA

Woodleigh makes bonded core bullets.

Woodleigh at MidwayUSA
Thanks, Capt.

Do you suppose the backorders are because demand is outstripping supply?

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Those aren't the right bullet for a Mosin though. Nagants fire 7.62X54R, not 39s

Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #5

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

54 and 39 has nothing to do with bullets.

NOTE: on the pictures below the bullet diameter is EXACTLY THE SAME.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd762x54rrussian.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd762x39.jpg

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6786 Times on 3607 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Thanks, Capt.

Do you suppose the backorders are because demand is outstripping supply?

Josh
the demand isnt high so the supply is low companies such as those mentioned above make limited runs as tooling is expensive and will make more once supplies are gone and they have time to make them. so while there is a demand it isnt a big one. reason being is there are a LOT of surplus rounds that come in non-reloadable cases. reloadable brass for those rounds isnt terribly common. in the future that MIGHT change as the supply of cheap ww2 surplus dries up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Urprising View Post
Those aren't the right bullet for a Mosin though. Nagants fire 7.62X54R, not 39s
the x54r and x39 part refers to the case the bullet itself is the same in both cartridges 7.62 measuring .311 at the base. he is looking to make just the bullet portion for reloaders.

one of the reasons i dont own a mosin is because finding a reliable source of reloadable brass and and finding a reliable sources of cheap .311 bullets is harder for me than finding components fr my .458socom.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-31-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

You can buy them at the Barnes website, they are always in stock.

Speer 180gr work really well. I have 180 pieces of brass, so I can load a few.

Graf & son has Prvi for a good price.
Graf & Sons - 303 Caliber/7.7 Japanese (.311-.312)