Am I getting a good deal?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Am I getting a good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Am I getting a good deal?

I dont claim to be the worst bargin hunter when it comes to guns but sometimes I need a little help...Am I getting a decent deal or am I having the wool pulled over my eyes?
I found a BAR in 30-06 Springfield for $850. Its from 1979 according to the serial number. It has the slab sides, no engravings, hooded front sight and slide assembly rear sight. The store owner says its NIB and shows absolutely no signs of wear at all, I went over it with a fine tooth comb. The barrel stamping says "Made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal". I only have experience with one BAR in particular so I'm not completely sure what to watch out for.
I'd hate to pay $900 to end up having something that has a defect I didnt know about or just pay too much period, so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

IMHO, the Browning BAR is about as good a semi auto hunting rifle as was ever made. Accurate, reliable, durable.

At $800 he is right at the Blue Book for a NIB, but a check of the SOLD auctions over at Gunbroker shows $500-$600 is more the going rate for a USED BAR in 30-06. There IS a Grade 1 (no engraving) Grade 2 (game scene engraved) Grade 3 (fancier) and Grade 4 (too pretty to shoot) for higher $$$.

I am still shooting my Dad's BAR in .243- and it will shoot 5 rounds into one minute of angle at 100 meters if I do my part.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had to pass on a Grade 1 about 3 years ago, it was in .30-06, and it was $500. I would have taken it in a heartbeat but I simply couldn't scrape up the money.

I think the price your looking at is a bit high, but I'm not overly familiar with these really. $850 sounds like a new gun price to me, and I have a hard time believing in a NIB from 1979 myself. Not saying it's not possible, stranger things have happened.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I had to pass on a Grade 1 about 3 years ago, it was in .30-06, and it was $500. I would have taken it in a heartbeat but I simply couldn't scrape up the money.

I think the price your looking at is a bit high, but I'm not overly familiar with these really. $850 sounds like a new gun price to me, and I have a hard time believing in a NIB from 1979 myself. Not saying it's not possible, stranger things have happened.
I checked the serial number and I wouldnt have believed it either if I couldnt have seen it with my own eyes. Now that I think about it, I'm going to ask if it comes with all the orginal box and all. I put down a down payment on the gun just in case, so I can tread carefully without much of a chance of losing the rifle since it was the only one in the store made before the mid 80s.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I checked the serial number and I wouldnt have believed it either if I couldnt have seen it with my own eyes. Now that I think about it, I'm going to ask if it comes with all the orginal box and all. I put down a down payment on the gun just in case, so I can tread carefully without much of a chance of losing the rifle since it was the only one in the store made before the mid 80s.
Oh I have no doubt it's from 1979. And it very well could be NIB. What exactly is New-In-Box though? No obvious wear and damage, with original box? I personally consider NIB to be unfired (except factory test fire), not carried, with original box and papers.

I believe that if its from 1979, it's probably been at least carried through the woods a few times. But if this is no problem to you, by all means go right ahead. It wouldn't be a problem for me, I just don't know for sure what the value is.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #6

You know what? I just checked Gunsamerica, and that's about the going rate. Damn, I wish I could have scraped up that $500 a couple years ago.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I'm in full agreement with C3Shooter. The Grade you describe should be going for no more than $600. However, if you pay $850 for it, you'll still get an excellent firearm that will serve several generation of shooters in your family.
If the seller is amiable, and you can't get your deposit back, ask the seller if he'd consider coming down $100-150. You might tell him you found one that was cheaper but you want to honor the deal he made with you.

When dealing with a gun shop, you can often have them add things they have sitting around in inventory when they won't lower the sticker. Don't be afraid to ask, he can only say, "No." I often times tell the salesman, "I have to look like I got a deal so my wife doesn't b*tch at me, just a couple of things to make it look good! You know, a box of ammo and a holster (about $100-$120)...just something!" This often works with salesmen that won't discount.

Whatever happens, make sure to enjoy your purchase! Firearms last a lifetime and when you amortize that small amount over 30-50 years, it is a very small investment that you can always get back!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have no copmlaints of paying normal going rate for one of these rifles, I just dont want to OVER pay because the store owner thinks he can fleece me. And your definition of New-In-Box is pretty close to the books and for this rifle I'd be ok with it having a mag or two put through it, but it doesnt look like that's the case.
I didnt think about the add-ons idea, I think I'll try that when I go back to check about the original box situation tomorrow.

Last edited by Ruzai; 10-05-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

ruzai, i'm with trip on this, NIB should include the box and any paperwork that came with the rifle and only the factory test fire ammo shot in it. i remember my dad having one in 270 many years ago, and i got to shoot it some when i was younger. i do remember dad's rifle having some engraving on it, so maybe it was a grade II? good luck.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #10

Yeah ask him to knock off just a little change and throw in a good sling and case. Or maybe even a cheap scope. Like I said, I think the price is a little steep, but on gunsamerica this seems to be about the going rate, anywhere between 600 to 1300, .22 to 7mm.

Over all, looking at other used prices, I wouldn't say Good Deal, but Fair Deal.