Am I Crazy??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Am I Crazy???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Point one to address, I looked more closely at the gun, not really a way to mount a rail on it without some machining, so I'm not worried.

Point two, I have shot more than enough deer to know a thing or two about hunting, only been doing it for 18 years. I've shot many many many deer in the neck, never had one leave where it was standing. Works great for shooting does for sausage. Maybe more people should try it sometime. Agreed, 223 isn't my favorite caliber for shooting deer, but can be done. I roll with a 7mm Rem Mag and if something goes wrong with that, I have a 270 for backup. Like I said, never had a deer I shot in the neck leave the spot it was standing when I shot it. I've shot a deer in the head which ended up taking the jaw off and had it run away. That is why I am a fan of the neck shot. I only shoot does for sausage this way. Bucks get shot in the heart.

Yes, the simmons scope sucks, won't argue. It's what I got laying around, and I'm not going to put something high dollar on a mini.

Really, all I asked was about mounting scoped and rails on the Mini, I don't need tips on killing deer. Just asked if a mini was capable of shooting the groups I was curious about. I got my answer. If anybody else has any opinion not involving my 18 years of what people seem to think is inexperience, please keep it to yourselves. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #12

Actually, I think this thread may have somewhat frusterated me to the point of just closing it. Thanks for everybody's input I guess.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #13

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Actually, I think this thread may have somewhat frusterated me to the point of just closing it. Thanks for everybody's input I guess.
Well bye now
FYI- You cant close it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2015 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Yours may have a side mount and is possibly a 181 series. Look at the serial number and the 1st 3 numbers are the series. Mine is a 189 and is milled for Ruger rings. Plug scope mount for Ruger xxx series into Google or other search engine and it should give you some options.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1249 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 2567

You can also check out the mini 14 section in "Semi autos" for some great information on the mini.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well bye now
FYI- You cant close it
hahaha I found this out after I tried to do it. lol I know you used to be able to do it on archerytalk and since this appears to be a duplicate of it, I figure it would work. Oh well. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Yours may have a side mount and is possibly a 181 series. Look at the serial number and the 1st 3 numbers are the series. Mine is a 189 and is milled for Ruger rings. Plug scope mount for Ruger xxx series into Google or other search engine and it should give you some options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
You can also check out the mini 14 section in "Semi autos" for some great information on the mini.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't shot the gun in a while and thought it was equiped in a way I could put a rail and a scope on it. I probably wouldn't go through the work of having it tapped for a scope but you never know.

Sorry I got a little worked up in some of my previous posts. I was just a little suprised that my thread asking questions about a certain gun turned into a thread bashing on how I shoot deer. My extremely short fuse was set off. I apologize

Old 11-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #17

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
hahaha I found this out after I tried to do it. lol I know you used to be able to do it on archerytalk and since this appears to be a duplicate of it, I figure it would work. Oh well. haha

Thanks for the info. I hadn't shot the gun in a while and thought it was equiped in a way I could put a rail and a scope on it. I probably wouldn't go through the work of having it tapped for a scope but you never know.

Quote:
Sorry I got a little worked up in some of my previous posts. I was just a little suprised that my thread asking questions about a certain gun turned into a thread bashing on how I shoot deer. My extremely short fuse was set off. I apologize
Awww, we love to take left turns, streach things out, make simple things difficult, & generaly just confuse the original issue

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Awww, we love to take left turns, streach things out, make simple things difficult, & generaly just confuse the original issue
lol good point. It might br stranger if we didn't I suppose, huh?

Old 11-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #19

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Quote:
lol good point. It might br stranger if we didn't I suppose, huh?
So, I guess this would be a bad time to ask how that LOP is

working out?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
So, I guess this would be a bad time to ask how that LOP is

working out?
Well, I am a pretty tall, big guy and to be honest, this mini 14 is almost like shooting as far as size goes. Not a rifle that fits me great at all. It was probably great for my dad who was 5'9". My Sendero fits me much better. hehehe Maybe what I should really do is instead of putting a scope on the mini, just shoot it with the peep sights it has and practice with it fairly religiously and give it a whirl, but have the Sendero on backup. hahaha

Worst case scenario, one of the places where I hunt doesn't have a magazine capacity limit so I could always throw the 30rd clip in and go with the "more lead is better" theory. hahaha Not really my style though.