Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Am I Crazy??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/am-i-crazy-52036/)

mrb1982 11-18-2011 03:09 AM

Am I Crazy???

So my dad had an old 223 Ruger Mini-14, Ranch I believe, with peep sights. Cool little gun, fun to shoot. My dad probably shot a couple deer with this thing. I have the hankering to to try to kill a deer with this thing myself. I am thinking about outfitting this thing with an old Simmons 3-10 scope on it. So a couple questions.

I know that these things have a reputation for being not very inherantly accurate. Will it have a chance of being accurate enough to possible shoot a deer in the neck at 100yds?

Secondly, I will have to put a rail on this thing I am guessing to put a scope on it. Anybody have a specific recommendation on one?

I don't expect this to be any sort of a long range rifle, but I would be happy if it was proficient at 200yd.

Any input or opinion would be appreciated. I could probably just shoot it with peep sights too, but I would feel a little more comfortable with it with a scope I guess.

Hairtrigger 11-18-2011 03:16 AM

2-3" groups at 100 yards are not out of reach. Well within your wants/needs
check the twist of your barrel, Ruger has used several different barrels/twists

JTJ 11-18-2011 03:18 AM

Answer to the 1st question is yes.:D
Personally I dont think the 223 is enough for deer. Yes it will kill one with proper placement. The Mini can be made accurate enough for hunting. Scope mounting would depend on which series you have. I dont think too much of the Simmons scopes because of past experience with them.

PanBaccha 11-18-2011 03:19 AM

I don't know about shooting deers. But then that's me.
I'd rather shoot drug-dealers if impunity was meted out
with as much indifference as with deer killing. Hey! But
that's me.

30-30remchester 11-18-2011 03:28 AM

Am you krazy? Dont know about that. Am you inexperenced at hunting? I get that impression. The neck shot on a deer is actually a very small target only about 4" of vital area. Too high and the deer goes down but soon recovers and runs away with a severe gastly most likely deadly wound. But the deer may suffer for weaks before expiring of high fever and infection. Too low and there will be little immediate effect but with its windpipe damaged he could live long enough to starve to death. The lung cavity is the premier bullet placement on all but dangerous game at spitting distance. Save an animal and shoot for the lung cavity.

Werminator 11-18-2011 04:39 AM

Agreed... I don't know who instructed you to execute a deer using a neck shot but their advice is a bit lacking... A perfect shot in the vital zone of the neck would be effective but the likelihood of such a shot is low enough I wouldn't risk potentially torturing the poor creature... The heart and lungs is your money shot and a mini14 should be effective enough for a kill in this zone... .223 is a fairly small bullet but there are other factors outside of diameter that influence the effecacy of a bullet... Just for gods sake don't load it up with FMJ rounds... I met a guy hunting with surplus FMJ because it was so much cheaper than alternative loads and after the story he relayed about shooting the animal 4 times to bring it down I wanted to turn my .243 on him and rid the world of one more idiot...

Rick1967 11-18-2011 04:58 AM

Is .223 legal for hunting deer where you live? In Colorado the minimum caliber is .24.

PatrickHarrison 11-18-2011 05:27 AM

The .223 hollow point or soft point or custom reloads in a ruger mini 14 is an excelent deer gun my uncles mini 14 has a simmon 3x9 he uses for tougher hogs and its real accurate at 100 yards 1-2 inch shot groups so you aint crazy itll be just fine, hopefully bahaha jk ;) the mount im not sure of tho. O another thing no neck shot thats to hard of bone for .222 bullet my .243 hit a bucks neck at o mm bout 10 yards and rolled the deer it crawled on its back for 20 yards hit a bank got sturdy and it got up straight n took off like a bat outa hell never to be seen again. So keep to musles organs inner ear shot the soft stuff ,not hard bone shots ie neck n back bone shoulders hindquarters for safe measures. Its good to see someone else tryin somethin tell us how it goes!! :D

therewolf 11-18-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrb1982 (Post 630524)
So my dad had an old 223 Ruger Mini-14, Ranch I believe, with peep sights. Cool little gun, fun to shoot. My dad probably shot a couple deer with this thing. I have the hankering to to try to kill a deer with this thing myself. I am thinking about outfitting this thing with an old Simmons 3-10 scope on it. So a couple questions.

I know that these things have a reputation for being not very inherantly accurate. Will it have a chance of being accurate enough to possible shoot a deer in the neck at 100yds?

Secondly, I will have to put a rail on this thing I am guessing to put a scope on it. Anybody have a specific recommendation on one?

I don't expect this to be any sort of a long range rifle, but I would be happy if it was proficient at 200yd.

Any input or opinion would be appreciated. I could probably just shoot it with peep sights too, but I would feel a little more comfortable with it with a scope I guess.

Yes, you're crazy, but it's a good thing.

I'd go with that simmons scope , or one similar to it would match the

capabilities of the rifle, IMO, but what are you

doing about length of pull?-

The minis I've tried have all had very short stocks, which isn't bad on a

carbine, but can be very tough on accurate distance shooting.

HOSSFLY 11-18-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 630534)
Answer to the 1st question is yes.:D
Personally I dont think the 223 is enough for deer. Yes it will kill one with proper placement. The Mini can be made accurate enough for hunting. Scope mounting would depend on which series you have. I dont think too much of the Simmons scopes because of past experience with them.

I pretty much agree with all the above :cool:
If you mount a scope dont get cheap! A B Square is a pretty good mount for the mini 14, the cheap one work loose quick in my exsperience :(