alright all you snipers - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > alright all you snipers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You can get quarter size groups at 1000. It will take a rifle/optic set up in the $5000+ range. Then you would have to shoot enough ammo to wear out that barrel and have it rebarreled. Then you would spend thousands on loading equipment, tools and components. Then you would have to spend the better part of 30 years learing the tricks necessary to overcome the elements.

Good luck
NEVER BEEN DONE AND NEVER WILL BE

http://www.6mmbr.com/page/page/1309618.htm

Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #52

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon

Ok then... No offence here I'm just saying what is obvious to my experience.

Brother, you are currently out classed in the ability to even strike a 1000yard target. Are you familiar with the Coriolis effect?

You need to master 400 and 500 yards 1st.

I suggest the following starter caliber 308, great bullet selection easy to hand load for hunting and target applications.

If you get the American Rifleman magazine the current issue has a article on a Rem 700 affordable upgrade. I couldn't explain it any better on the simple upgrades to make a descent shooter for under a grand. that will serve you well.

ie. Bolt action, heavy barrel, rigid stout stock, adjustable trigger and good optic.

Once you have your rifle completed then you have to learn to properly drive it. You need to learn proper form, to calm your self, and time your trigger pull to your heartbeat. You must learn your rifles DOPE. etc.

Get your rifle shoot the heck outta it to 500, shoot lots of paper, shoot lotsa gongs for instant satisfaction for the fellas to whoop and holla about. have fun.

Find a copy of July 2013 American rifleman at a used book store etc. simple little article.

Good luck
The coriolis effect fascinates me for some reason. Just one those things I guess. When I'm stuck in another worthless meeting that I have no reason to be in , I pass the time calculating the hold on various distances. I have quite the notebook built up with various rounds and ranges .

If you every need to know how much you need to factor in for a 6000 yard shot using a 270, I'm your guy.

No, I don't shoot long range. I have no place to partake at this time. I can shoot 250 yards behind my house, but that's about it.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #53

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post

Not with that attitude.

In 1976 the government had come up with, what they considered, a super computer that had 500 mega bytes of memory and said that it was impossible to get any more memory or to make it smaller. It was the size of a mini coupe. Today we have memory cards as small as a finger nail that can hold 6 giga bytes.

So what you says is "will never be done" I will achieve in my lifetime....stepping down off my soap box
Old 06-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #54
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

Never say never. 200 years ago, repeating arms were but a dream. 150 years ago, sending men to war all with semi, and fully automatic firearms was crazy talk. 100 years ago, expecting men to consistently hit targets with effective accuracy at 1000 yards was only a wish. 50 years ago, polymer guns were unheard of.

Where are we at today? Semi auto guns are as common as grass in a field. Our brave men and women are going into combat with select fire rifles and machineguns at their disposal. We have bot civilians, and servicemen/women who can consistently hit targets at 1000 yards with deadly accuracy. We have guns such as GLOCKS, XDs, M&P, ect that are made of polymer.

Someday, there will be a scope that can automatically calculate every variable that goes into shooting. Someday, one hole groups at 1000 yards will be a reality. We are already on the path to this.

There is already a rifle and scope system that allows new/first time shooters to be able to hit targets at 1000 yards. Never say never.

Plus, you never know what kind a talent someone will have. There may be someone who is skilled enough to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Not with that attitude.

In 1976 the government had come up with, what they considered, a super computer that had 500 mega bytes of memory and said that it was impossible to get any more memory or to make it smaller. It was the size of a mini coupe. Today we have memory cards as small as a finger nail that can hold 6 giga bytes.

So what you says is "will never be done" I will achieve in my lifetime....stepping down off my soap box
And I hope you do achieve this goal.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #55

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

knowing the laws concerning ballistics and the uncertainty of wind effects on the bullet's flight (the wind can change AFTER the bullet has left the gun and while its enroute to the target) lead me to that conclusion.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #56

Quote:
knowing the laws concerning ballistics and the uncertainty of wind effects on the bullet's flight (the wind can change AFTER the bullet has left the gun and while its enroute to the target) lead me to that conclusion.
By the laws of physics a bumble been shouldn't be able to fly with it's small wings span supporting a heavy mass but it does.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #57

I do respect your perspective and I'm sure you have more experience in this field then I. I'm am not by any means challenging your statements.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #58

Quote:
No one ever said it would be easy, just not impossible.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

No one ever said it would be easy, just not impossible.
Hey man are you in the Dfw area, id like to make some new shooting friends. And Axxe id love to go shooting with you as well. So how about it
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Hey man are you in the Dfw area, id like to make some new shooting friends. And Axxe id love to go shooting with you as well. So how about it
I will be soon. Right now, I'm about 10 miles south of the Oklahoma border. Next year, I'll be somewhere near Arlington.

What part of DFW are you in?