alright all you snipers - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > alright all you snipers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,630
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Not a slam, but some honest questions. How much long range shooting do you do or have you done? What is the longest range you have shot? How much reloading experience do you have?

A dime or Quarter sized group at 1000 is an exception not a rule. Most rifles and most ammo loads are not mechanically consistent enough to do that on a regular basis. Then throw the human element, and nature in there between the shooter and the target and it is a lot of variables to overcome.

Just don't want you to get your expectations into the realm of the unrealistic and end up wildly disappointed after putting a lot of money and time into a build. Most folks would be ecstatic to get consistent half minute groups at 1000 yds which ends up being right around 5 inches. If a rifle, optic, ammo and shooter combo can do that regularly, that is world class shooting.
That all makes sense I do put my expectations a little high and push myself a little too hard but don't all great men. I have no experience shooting long range but I also had no experience shooting pistols until I picked up my first one. I usta be pleased with hitting paper at 25 yards and push myself, now I can split a playing card. once I even hit paper with a lr I'll be happy and then I'll push myself once more.
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,630
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
yes there are some shooters who can get quarter sized groups at 1000 yards. most of them are called benchrest shooters. they are totally different breed of shooter. they spend huge amounts of money on the rifle, optics and reloading equipment. many of them eat, breath and sleep thinking about shooting. to get to that point of being able to shoot a quarter sized group at a 1000 yards takes years of shooting and lots and lots of trigger time.

you're still young, so it's still possible to achieve your goal, as long as you honest and realistic about those goals. start at the range you can master, such as 100 yards. master it, then move out further. long distance shooing is no different than walking. first you have to learn to crawl, then walk, then you move to running. take your time, and move in steps.

one thing i do agree with, that someone said, even if after years of shooting the best you can do is hit within say a two foot circle at a 1000 yards, that sir, would still be incredible shooting skills.
Man you always have great advise. I wasn't planning on jumping into 1000 yards I was going to takes steps as you suggest. But I hope I can catch on and find a good instructor to tutor me.
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Ultimate_sig, as said above, a 1000 yard shot is no easy task, and it will cost a lot of money to get a rifle that can do it well.

Here's what I would do. Since you have only shot at 100 yards, build a good bolt action designed for 500-600 yards. If you get good at doing that, you can work your way up to 1000 yards.

I have a plans on building a 6.5mm rifle designed for exactly that. 500-600 yard shots, and extremely small groups at 100 yards. It's going to be a Mauser action with a heavy barrel and a few other personal touches. It's going to cost about $1000 plus the scope. (I'm going to use an old BSA to practice with it, and eventually put something really high quality and powerful on it when I can).

If you already have the rifle, you can expect to pay a little less, (not including the scope).

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
That all makes sense I do put my expectations a little high and push myself a little too hard but don't all great men. I have no experience shooting long range but I also had no experience shooting pistols until I picked up my first one. I usta be pleased with hitting paper at 25 yards and push myself, now I can split a playing card. once I even hit paper with a lr I'll be happy and then I'll push myself once more.
That's a good attitude to have. Keep pushing yourself, and what you can do. You'll be hitting paper at 1000 yards in no time.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,630
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Ultimate_sig, as said above, a 1000 yard shot is no easy task, and it will cost a lot of money to get a rifle that can do it well.

Here's what I would do. Since you have only shot at 100 yards, build a good bolt action designed for 500-600 yards. If you get good at doing that, you can work your way up to 1000 yards.

I have a plans on building a 6.5mm rifle designed for exactly that. 500-600 yard shots, and extremely small groups at 100 yards. It's going to be a Mauser action with a heavy barrel and a few other personal touches. It's going to cost about $1000 plus the scope. (I'm going to use an old BSA to practice with it, and eventually put something really high quality and powerful on it when I can).

If you already have the rifle, you can expect to pay a little less, (not including the scope).
I like this idea I think I'm going to do a build based on this. I'll use standard parts for this one and as I gain knowledge and experience I'll upgrade to high end. I set my goals in pretty far places and go for sub goals in between to get to where I want. I have a problem, once I do good I want to do better and sometimes it drives me crazy but it has also made me the shooter I am now
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I like this idea I think I'm going to do a build based on this. I'll use standard parts for this one and as I gain knowledge and experience I'll upgrade to high end. I set my goals in pretty far places and go for sub goals in between to get to where I want. I have a problem, once I do good I want to do better and sometimes it drives me crazy but it has also made me the shooter I am now
one thing i will also add, on the average rifle, the barrel will usually outlive it's original owner, his children and his grandchildren. on a target rifle like you have envisioned, the barrel is a expendable commodity. to get proficient at shooting, you will have to send a lot of bullets downrange. a barrel does have a limited lifespan when target shooting. it's lifespan will be determined by many factors, such as the chosen caliber and cartridge used, the types and charges of powder used and other factors. this is something that needs to be factored in.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I like this idea I think I'm going to do a build based on this. I'll use standard parts for this one and as I gain knowledge and experience I'll upgrade to high end. I set my goals in pretty far places and go for sub goals in between to get to where I want. I have a problem, once I do good I want to do better and sometimes it drives me crazy but it has also made me the shooter I am now
Like I said, that's a good attitude to have.

Here's what I was going to do. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Yugo Mauser 24/47 action (or German k98 if I could find one cheap enough).
6.5x55 Swede (may go with a wildcat 6.5 though)
Heavy Kreiger Barrel
Beautiful figured Walnut stock (one of those personal touches I was telling you about. )
I'm going to glass bed the action.
Timney trigger
and I'm going to top it off with a really good set of rings/mounts, and a high quality scope.
I'll probably also do a few little things here and there just to make it mine.

When it's done, it should be extremely accurate, and look very nice.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Like I said, that's a good attitude to have.

Here's what I was going to do. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Yugo Mauser 24/47 action (or German k98 if I could find one cheap enough).
6.5x55 Swede (may go with a wildcat 6.5 though)
Heavy Kreiger Barrel
Beautiful figured Walnut stock (one of those personal touches I was telling you about. )
I'm going to glass bed the action.
Timney trigger
and I'm going to top it off with a really good set of rings/mounts, and a high quality scope.
I'll probably also do a few little things here and there just to make it mine.

When it's done, it should be extremely accurate, and look very nice.
and even if it never achieves a 1000 yards, it will still be a nice rifle.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,164
Liked 1842 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Default

I consider myself a better than average shooter. Ok, I admit it...I am a little full of myself. I consider myself a much better than average shooter. I can hit a 18 inch gong at 500 yards consistantly with a mosin nagant with iron sights. But 1000 yards? I would feel good if I could consistantly hit a half sheet if plywood at that distance. Just saying.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,630
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I consider myself a better than average shooter. Ok, I admit it...I am a little full of myself. I consider myself a much better than average shooter. I can hit a 18 inch gong at 500 yards consistantly with a mosin nagant with iron sights. But 1000 yards? I would feel good if I could consistantly hit a half sheet if plywood at that distance. Just saying.
Funny you say that, I got a mosin couple weeks ago and that will be my "crawl" stage. After I can hit consistent at 100 yards I'm going to start my Remy 700 build
__________________
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Alright, I'll bite. BCM it is. broke-again124 AR-15 Discussion 10 07-18-2012 01:52 AM
alright all u ar experts got a ? Ultimate_sig AR-15 Discussion 4 05-30-2012 11:02 PM
Alright, who here did this? MGH The Club House 6 04-01-2010 04:46 PM
Alright, help me out.. Rubi22 Semi-Auto Handguns 6 01-13-2008 11:57 PM