Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > alright all you snipers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Now im no expert but im pretty sure quarter size groups are pretty unrealistic for someone who has only shot at 100 yards. Start at closer distances and work your way up.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #22

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Now im no expert but im pretty sure quarter size groups are pretty unrealistic for someone who has only shot at 100 yards. Start at closer distances and work your way up.
1000 yard bench rest is 10 rounds. Good advice. Now if he wants to use a "sniper" rig at that distance 18" would be practical for a skilled shooter, but since his experience is 100 yards, better put a barn out there. Not a big one, but a small 35' wide, 42' tall one. Even w/ a Berger 210gr VLD and a MV of 2800fps the bullet drops 283" or 108 clicks on a 1/4" scope w/ the .300WM. Since most, but not all, scopes for distance have 80 clicks of travel, he better get a 20moa base. With a slight 5mph breeze he will be off 3 ft in windage. The OP should inlist in the Army or Marine Corps and sign up for Sniper school.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
If a guy can get dime size groupings why couldn't I get quarter size groupings
You can get quarter size groups at 1000. It will take a rifle/optic set up in the $5000+ range. Then you would have to shoot enough ammo to wear out that barrel and have it rebarreled. Then you would spend thousands on loading equipment, tools and components. Then you would have to spend the better part of 30 years learing the tricks necessary to overcome the elements.

Good luck

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Check out the article on pg. 58 of the July issue of American Rifleman. Good how-to story on the 700, may give you a few ideas.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 874 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Quote:
I don't have a long distance rifles, I have a nice Ar set up but I've only shot at 100 yards and had quarter size groupings.
Ok then... No offence here I'm just saying what is obvious to my experience.

Brother, you are currently out classed in the ability to even strike a 1000yard target. Are you familiar with the Coriolis effect?

You need to master 400 and 500 yards 1st.

I suggest the following starter caliber 308, great bullet selection easy to hand load for hunting and target applications.

If you get the American Rifleman magazine the current issue has a article on a Rem 700 affordable upgrade. I couldn't explain it any better on the simple upgrades to make a descent shooter for under a grand. that will serve you well.

ie. Bolt action, heavy barrel, rigid stout stock, adjustable trigger and good optic.

Once you have your rifle completed then you have to learn to properly drive it. You need to learn proper form, to calm your self, and time your trigger pull to your heartbeat. You must learn your rifles DOPE. etc.

Get your rifle shoot the heck outta it to 500, shoot lots of paper, shoot lotsa gongs for instant satisfaction for the fellas to whoop and holla about. have fun.

Find a copy of July 2013 American rifleman at a used book store etc. simple little article.

Good luck

Become steel or get cut.
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19798 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

yes there are some shooters who can get quarter sized groups at 1000 yards. most of them are called benchrest shooters. they are totally different breed of shooter. they spend huge amounts of money on the rifle, optics and reloading equipment. many of them eat, breath and sleep thinking about shooting. to get to that point of being able to shoot a quarter sized group at a 1000 yards takes years of shooting and lots and lots of trigger time.

you're still young, so it's still possible to achieve your goal, as long as you honest and realistic about those goals. start at the range you can master, such as 100 yards. master it, then move out further. long distance shooing is no different than walking. first you have to learn to crawl, then walk, then you move to running. take your time, and move in steps.

one thing i do agree with, that someone said, even if after years of shooting the best you can do is hit within say a two foot circle at a 1000 yards, that sir, would still be incredible shooting skills.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #27

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You can get quarter size groups at 1000. It will take a rifle/optic set up in the $5000+ range. Then you would have to shoot enough ammo to wear out that barrel and have it rebarreled. Then you would spend thousands on loading equipment, tools and components. Then you would have to spend the better part of 30 years learing the tricks necessary to overcome the elements.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
yes there are some shooters who can get quarter sized groups at 1000 yards. most of them are called benchrest shooters. they are totally different breed of shooter. they spend huge amounts of money on the rifle, optics and reloading equipment. many of them eat, breath and sleep thinking about shooting. to get to that point of being able to shoot a quarter sized group at a 1000 yards takes years of shooting and lots and lots of trigger time.

you're still young, so it's still possible to achieve your goal, as long as you honest and realistic about those goals. start at the range you can master, such as 100 yards. master it, then move out further. long distance shooing is no different than walking. first you have to learn to crawl, then walk, then you move to running. take your time, and move in steps.

one thing i do agree with, that someone said, even if after years of shooting the best you can do is hit within say a two foot circle at a 1000 yards, that sir, would still be incredible shooting skills.

A 5" 10 shot group is 1/2moa, 10"+ is moa and that is hard enough. How many times have we seen someone that buys a standard 700 and a cheapy scope that think they will be able to shoot 1000 yards. No thought to what it actually will take. At best they have a 200 yard hunting rifle. 9" at 200 yards w/ wally world ammo. The OP should get a compitition grade .22 and start w/ small bore NRA shoots. An old Mossberg M44 will do. Cheaper to shoot and it is 50ft to begin. Not as easy as you might think. The 10x is the same diameter as the bullet. The targets are 5 bull, 5 shots per bull. Each bull is about 1.25". You find out very fast how heavy the rifle really is shooting 25 rounds unsupported except by you.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 874 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

^ makes my arms hurt just thinking about that...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #29
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
What part of TX you in? Close to DFW
I'm south of Cowtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
308 always wins
Evidently,You don't see many competition shoots at 1000 yards. You won't find too many 308 caliber rifles in open class.

Quote:
If a guy can get dime size groupings why couldn't I get quarter size groupings
Keep dreaming!
I can shoot 1/4"-1/2" groups all day long at 100 yards with almost any caliber rifle I own,but to just shoot MOA=10" groups at 1k yards everything has to be perfect when your shooting that day. It isn't an easy task for anyone that tries too.
Shooting at long range takes the right equipment,skill,and practice.
You have to know how the weather conditions affect your shooting,how to read the wind at several different places between you and the target,and spend a lot of time figuring out the perfect load for your rifle.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19798 Times on 11239 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I'm south of Cowtown

Evidently,You don't see many competition shoots at 1000 yards. You won't find too many 308 caliber rifles in open class.

Keep dreaming!
I can shoot 1/4"-1/2" groups all day long at 100 yards with almost any caliber rifle I own,but to just shoot MOA=10" groups at 1k yards everything has to be perfect when your shooting that day. It isn't an easy task for anyone that tries too.
Shooting at long range takes the right equipment,skill,and practice.
You have to know how the weather conditions affect your shooting,how to read the wind at several different places between you and the target,and spend a lot of time figuring out the perfect load for your rifle.
and all those variables start to magnify hugely after about 500 yards and the difficulty scale increases! the wind can be moving in two different directions the further you shoot. air temperature, humidity, and many other variables have to be considered

i do have to agree that several have said, that extremely costly equipment is reequired to be able to even place a shot at 1000 yards. it's not an inexpensive hobby in the least.