Already now what to get my son!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Already now what to get my son!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Already now what to get my son!!!

So my biological kids live with their mom in TX. Picking Xmas presents has been getting kinda tough, but my dad (Grumpy to his g-kids) helped me narrow the field for my oldest, Chris. You guessed it: a hunting rifle!!!

Got the idea cause Grumpy is taking a really active role in his g-kids lives and has been taking Chris into the outdoors (hiking, shooting, boyscouts etc.) and how he was gonna take Chris hunting. After hearing about this and how much fun the two of them were having I asked Grumpy what he thought about Chris getting a rifle for X-mas. At first he didn't think that was too good an idea. But he obviously thought about it, and then called me (a shocker in itself) to pretty say that he thought it would be a good idea and even had a few suggestions as to what I should get him! I was thinking a youth model Remington (as I love my 700), but in Grumpy's experience (and since he will be the one with Chris most of the time) a Winchester or Marlin lever gun would be better. Luckily I got some time to decide and put something on layaway. Anywho had to share with a sympathetic group since the wife was not impressed!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good luck with your decision. A lever gun sounds pretty good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A wonderful idea and I'm with Grumpy here that a lever action rifle would be perfect! Good luck and have fun shopping!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad-ratman View Post
Anywho had to share with a sympathetic group since the wife was not impressed!
If she's not impressed, how do you know she'll let your son keep it and not either sell it or give it back?

And yes, buy your son a levergun.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad-ratman View Post
So my biological kids live with their mom in TX. Picking Xmas presents has been getting kinda tough, but my dad (Grumpy to his g-kids) helped me narrow the field for my oldest, Chris. You guessed it: a hunting rifle!!!

Got the idea cause Grumpy is taking a really active role in his g-kids lives and has been taking Chris into the outdoors (hiking, shooting, boyscouts etc.) and how he was gonna take Chris hunting. After hearing about this and how much fun the two of them were having I asked Grumpy what he thought about Chris getting a rifle for X-mas. At first he didn't think that was too good an idea. But he obviously thought about it, and then called me (a shocker in itself) to pretty say that he thought it would be a good idea and even had a few suggestions as to what I should get him! I was thinking a youth model Remington (as I love my 700), but in Grumpy's experience (and since he will be the one with Chris most of the time) a Winchester or Marlin lever gun would be better. Luckily I got some time to decide and put something on layaway. Anywho had to share with a sympathetic group since the wife was not impressed!
I new a lever was it as soon as "grumpy" came into play!
I can say my 1st wife is a major anti, my second has accepted firearms and has a few of her own now, plus she is cute as hell! I upgraded. A good lever will last for years. 30-.30 has been around for years and tops the charts for all time Whitetail kills (top 5). I'm not a big '94 fan, they just don't fit. My ffl has a new 2003 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for $425.00. He has MS and has had tons of stuff for years.
Let me know! Good for grumpy.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Lever rifle's are great! I have the 94 Winchester and I like it a lot but the Marlin are easier to add an optic to. Might be easier to find a Marlin too

Old 06-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
If she's not impressed, how do you know she'll let your son keep it and not either sell it or give it back?

And yes, buy your son a levergun.
Son stays with his mom, and Grumpy has already said they can keep the firearm at his house. My current wife (or future ex) is all about guns...until it comes time to actually put down the money for them!!!