Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   AK47 style weapon: Reticle system and mount locations??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ak47-style-weapon-reticle-system-mount-locations-89688/)

Calbor 04-27-2013 10:59 PM

AK47 style weapon: Reticle system and mount locations???

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I have a WASR10 7.62 x 39 AK style rifle. My cousin insists I shouldn't buy an expensive Bushnell or EOtech red dot system for my rifle. Apparently the rifle doesn't group close enough to use an expensive CQB reticle system and If I do buy one, I should buy a heat guard with integrated weaver/picatinni rail system. Apparently the correct spot to place a reticle system like this on an AK, is above the rifle' gas system vs. installing it in the traditional scope position using a side mount which puts it above the receiver.

First question: is it a waste of $$$ putting a nice reticle sight on an AK47 style rifle?

Second question: where is the correct location to install a reticle system like this?

To give my cousin credit, he was in the Marines, continues to support the Marines as a contractor and has many rifles. I'm just trying to get more insight here.

Thanks for the answers and/suggestions! Attached is a pic of my WASR10' current config.

SSGN_Doc 04-28-2013 02:11 AM

The nice thing about red dot sights is that they can be put out front or near the rear if the rifle. The key is to have the sight and mount to be stable. Heat is usually the enemy if electronics and optics. Most folks natural inclination is to keep them off the gas system since this is where the majority of heat changes will take place on an AK. But, many AK owners use forward rail systems and some that are directly on the gas tube with good results.

The advantage of forward mounting is that the sight takes up less of your field of view so that when you keep both eyes open you can see other targets or potential danger. The Russians used several optics though that mounted over the receiver via the side rail. The Kobra is one such sight that is similar to an EOTech in function. US military Aimpoints are usually mounted to the rear near the eye. They work fine in either location. Red dots are not for precision they are for CQB and getting rounds at center if mass quickly out to 200 to 300 yds which an AK is capable of.

Now as to the need to spend a lot on the optic would depend on the intended use for the rifle. If you intend to bet your life on the rifle then I would spend money on a combat worthy sight such as an Aimpoint. If it for matches and range use then there are good substitutes. Lots if good reviews for Primary Arms red dots in AKs. Same for Bushnells TRS 25.

Calbor 04-28-2013 06:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep biding on my Bushnell HOLOsight then.

locutus 04-29-2013 12:06 AM

Unless you buy a cheap receiver cover mount, an optic is a good investment. I prefer a side mount that positions the optic over the receiver in a conventional position, because it allows the use of a Red Dot or a conventional scope.

Having just said all that:o:o:o My Norinco AK-47 has a gas tube mount and a holosight.:D

It's a darn good set-up, but the side mount and 1X-4X scope on my AK-74 is also a great setup.:confused::confused::confused:

Ya really can't go wrong with either. Just avoid those top cover replacement mounts like the plague.

1911love 04-29-2013 03:14 AM

Loc, what is wrong with the top cover replacement mounts?

SSGN_Doc 04-29-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1230751)

The inexpensive ones that have no way to lock in place will wobble and move during firing and you won't get a good zero. Some of the ones that use screws won't return to the same place, so you lose zero every time you take the cover off and put it back on. And many make stripping the gun harder, while one of the great features of an AK is the ability to strip it quick and easy.

1911love 04-29-2013 09:10 AM

Thanks Doc, is there a solution to get a 1913 top rail on an AK?

Calbor 04-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
Unless you buy a cheap receiver cover mount, an optic is a good investment. I prefer a side mount that positions the optic over the receiver in a conventional position, because it allows the use of a Red Dot or a conventional scope.

Having just said all that:o:o:o My Norinco AK-47 has a gas tube mount and a holosight.:D

It's a darn good set-up, but the side mount and 1X-4X scope on my AK-74 is also a great setup.:confused::confused::confused:

Ya really can't go wrong with either. Just avoid those top cover replacement mounts like the plague.

Yeah. I don't feel comfortable enough to use those. The OEM cover wobbles too much fir me to trust it to hold a scope or reticle.

I went with a sight rail that inserts to to the rear iron sight seat and screws into the stock. Its solid, but requires removal of the screw for weapon cleaning. I liked it because I was able to mount a scope and a brass deflector. I just picked up a side mount scope mount. Picked up a magnifier and currently bidding on a Bushnell HOLOsight.

rifleman77 04-29-2013 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I personally do not think a ak needs a sight system. They aren't really built for range or extreme accuracy. I always thought of them as a close range stopper.

Attachment 98455

locutus 04-30-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1230751)

Wobbly, of course. but it also requires that you re-zero every time you clean it.