AK-47 .223 Jam and Bump-Fire
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > AK-47 .223 Jam and Bump-Fire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default AK-47 .223 Jam and Bump-Fire

Hi all. I was hoping some of you have had any experience with a .223 AK-47 feed issues and maybe some accidental bump-fire automatic tendencies.
I was at the range to test out my virgin Norinco underfolder AK-47 that has been in my father's closet for more than 20 years. First shot was a automatic-like double fire and was followed by a jam. I was using old norinco .223 ammo. After a few jams, double feeds and a casing stuck in the bolt carrier, i put it away.
Anyone else

__________________
GhettoD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,992
Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

A .223 ak clone?? O.o


I thought those were only 7.62x39 or 5.45x39???

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

No they are very rare. There are a few .223 AK out there. I went to the gunshow in LV this past weekend and saw .223 AK mags for $160 each. I just want to make sure it is safe and legal so I can shoot it competently.

__________________
GhettoD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,992
Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoD
No they are very rare. There are a few .223 AK out there. I went to the gunshow in LV this past weekend and saw .223 AK mags for $160 each. I just want to make sure it is safe and legal so I can shoot it competently.
Like a converted saiga?
__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Its a Norinco....factory fresh 20-25 years ago. Im new to AKs and rifles in general just as I am to this forum. Building an AR right now. I dont think anything has been "converted".

__________________
GhettoD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,992
Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Ah. Anyhow, I would strip it down and clean it really good. Sounds like the firing pin channel is gunked up. That may cause the slam fire. I'm not an ak guy, I know nothing about them.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Ah. Anyhow, I would strip it down and clean it really good. Sounds like the firing pin channel is gunked up. That may cause the slam fire. I'm not an ak guy, I know nothing about them.
I was going to strip it tomorrow. That was the first time it was fired and I wanted to see if it would fire with the legendary AK reliability. Hindsight being 20/20, I think I should've done that before I fired it. Thanks for your input and I will thoroughly clean it.

I also wanted to know if anyone has a .223 AK and experiences jams. I have heard that the .223 magazines can cause problems. Different magazines can work better than others.
__________________
GhettoD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,127
Liked 5541 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Default

AKs are notorious for slam firing with commercial ammo or hand loads with commercial primers.

If you hand load try Remington #7 1/2 primers. They're MilSpec.

Make sure factory ammo is MilSpec.

If you have a depth micrometer measure firing pin protrusion. Norinco typically is .060 or greater.

You can carefully trim your firing pin to .030-.035 protrusion. that will usually cure slam firing.

One word of caution. Primers are normally seated ,005 below flush. .020 is generally considered the minimum indention needed for reliable ignition, so protrusion must not be less then .025. And .030 is better, IMHO to give a bit of a cushion

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
AKs are notorious for slam firing with commercial ammo or hand loads with commercial primers.

If you hand load try Remington #7 1/2 primers. They're MilSpec.

Make sure factory ammo is MilSpec.

If you have a depth micrometer measure firing pin protrusion. Norinco typically is .060 or greater.

You can carefully trim your firing pin to .030-.035 protrusion. that will usually cure slam firing.

One word of caution. Primers are normally seated ,005 below flush. .020 is generally considered the minimum indention needed for reliable ignition, so protrusion must not be less then .025. And .030 is better, IMHO to give a bit of a cushion
Thank you for you input. I will bring this to my gunsmiths attention.
__________________
GhettoD is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.22 bump fire ShagNasty1001 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 8 10-13-2012 07:14 PM
Bump fire 1911beast AR-15 Discussion 23 09-20-2012 08:28 AM
Bump fire ShagNasty1001 AR-15 Discussion 15 11-02-2011 03:42 AM
Ak-47 bump fire.... LONGHAIR AK & SKS Discussion 2 04-01-2011 01:10 AM
Bump-fire... LONGHAIR The Club House 6 03-27-2011 03:08 AM