Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Air Rifles / Percision Airguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Air Rifles / Percision Airguns?

I'm looking for some ideas for my 13yr son that is wanting to get a Air Rifle so he can use it on our land for squirrels, rabbits and raccoons - what is the best type of Air Rifle for this type of thing. (top/middle of the line)

| Free Gun Values | Gun Shell | Shot Guns |

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

Hey Imashooter,

There are many best rifles, it all comes down to personal preference. If I could give you my best recommendation I would look into a Gamo air rifle. It's a Spanish brand, very big in Europe for their high quality productions. Also a very innovative company I must say.

Gamo has a variety of hunting rifles which you can find on their website.
http://www.gamousa.com/
Pretty neat, they offer different calibers: .177, .22 and even .25! Not sure which model, but there's one that puts out a .177 at 1600 ft/s ... dropping boars. Though, achieved with PBA pellets which are their non-load alloy pellets making for a higher velocity. Pretty amazing but might not be necessary for your son's use. There's lots on that website, just have a browse.

Maybe a fun suggestion for your son is a pellet trap, on the website refered to as the 'Cone Pellet Trap'. It holds your paper target and traps the pellets so they don't scatter al over the place. The 'Rocker Pellet Trap' is also a lot of fun for plinking.

Hopefully this helps. Not sure about the availability in North-America but they're great guns and thought to let you know about them. I own a couple of their guns for years now and I'm still satisfied! Fun shooting!

See you around,
Daniel

Last edited by AmsterDan; 02-08-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #3

If money is no object then you should look at the Anschutz line of precision air rifles.

Be sitting down when you do as its going to open a whole new chapter into this hobby.

A 2025 high power in 22 caliber will work well for your application. You'll get about 150 shots per cylinder of air. (You fill them off of a scuba tank or a high pressure compressor.)

Prices start in the $2000 range fully equipped.

"Neal Johnson's Gunsmithing, Inc. Online Target Shooting Equipment Manual" is the best!

Have fun and good luck.