Air Guns
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Air Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Air Guns

Picked up a nice little air rifle yesterday... I have several Benjamin's but they are older and I wanted something a bit faster and a little more accurate... the Benjamin's are .20 cal. and the new one I got yesterday is a .177... 4.5mm.

It's manufactured by Daisy (although I think made in China) but sold under the Winchester name... advertised at producing 1400 fps.. with the lighter .177 alloy pellets... the lead ones around 1100fps or so they say... I zeroed the scope... a little 3X9X.32 and took it out into the back yard... at 50yds. it shot a group as good as any center fire rifle I have... at 100yds. it still shot a pretty tight group... I was just shooting off the hood of my truck and I was impressed... anyway... for a bit over $200. I think this is a nice little package... complete with a bi-pod and noise suppressor... it's a barrel cock, single shot rifle that should prove to be a lot of fun for target, squirrels, rabbits, crows or other small game...
File Type: jpg WinchesterAirRifle-02.jpg (40.8 KB, 45 views)

"Endeavor to Persevere" "Lone Watie"

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Nice air gun.!! Much cooler than mine.
I have a Ruger Air Hawk barrel cock .177 cal. air gun (unknown manufacture) that came with a 4X32 scope. Nice little gun I've had for several years now. Gets pest pigeons quite nicely and on the quiet.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-14-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

mrm14... I notice you are in that crazy state of CA.... I would think in that location, you might find a good quality air rifle just the ticket... I have friends in LE in CA and they tell me that "real" guns are becoming harder and harder to get... at least in many circles... a good quality air gun... be it a rifle or pistol... might just prove to be the one thing that, at least for now... is safe from the "grabbers"... good luck, stay safe and practice often...

BTW... I have a very good friend that lives in Sacramento... I am a retired trucker and have been there many times... nice country.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that , comes from bad judgment" "Will Rogers"

Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I might add that the suppressor... doesn't really do anything to quiet the sound... fact is... IMHO, it is just as loud as a .22... maybe not the "crack" of the report but still a very loud "pop"... I would have thought it would be a bit quieter... oh, well... can't have it all....

Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

I'm interested. I bought a refurbished Gamo big Cat 1200. It was never accurate. Very inconsistent and I was shooting 75' inside a barn. I bought a better quality Air Rife Scope, no luck. I want consistent accuracy from an air rifle. Sounds like the Winchester is the answer. What model is it and where is it sold? Thanks

Old 02-15-2016, 02:23 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I'm interested. Sounds like the Winchester is the answer. What model is it and where is it sold? Thanks
Well, I got this one at Bass Pro Shop but I think they are pretty much available at any big general store... WalMart or others.. sells for around $220.

I will say that Benjamin makes probably some of the best ones out there... I have two... a rifle (392) and a pistol (H9)... both older models.. both 5mm... .20 cal... but some of the newer ones are pretty nice too...

That Ruger Air Hawk .177 is also a very nice gun and sells for about $100 less than the Winchester.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speezack View Post
mrm14... I notice you are in that crazy state of CA.... I would think in that location, you might find a good quality air rifle just the ticket... I have friends in LE in CA and they tell me that "real" guns are becoming harder and harder to get... at least in many circles... a good quality air gun... be it a rifle or pistol... might just prove to be the one thing that, at least for now... is safe from the "grabbers"... good luck, stay safe and practice often...

BTW... I have a very good friend that lives in Sacramento... I am a retired trucker and have been there many times... nice country.
Guns not so hard to get here as those from different states claim. I keep the cool stuff at my address in Nevada and the essentials for me here. Also, I'm grandfathered in, at this time, for a lot of stuff I have here in California. Can't transfer some of this grandfathered stuff here though and the laws could change to get them out of the state. Just move the items to Nevada address if that happens. Lately I shoot 1000 yard distances with bolt guns.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Lately I shoot 1000 yard distances with bolt guns.
1000 yds.??????????????????? good grief... that's over a half mile...

I'd have a hard time riding a bicycle that far...

I think the longest shot I have ever made was around 350 yds... with my .220 swift... on ground hogs... but it has a very nice scope and I reload for accuracy... but of course... I am an old man now... so I try and keep distances under 150 yds. if possible... mostly deer size game, or an occasional dove with a scatter gun... my little Browning 'Twelvette" a really great bird gun...

... oh, I forgot.. I did make an eight mile shot with a little larger caliber weapon back in the 60's... M101A1; 105 Howitzer... HE... I was pretty good with that one... as long as I could keep recon from moving my aiming stakes (you'll have to google that one)

Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speezack View Post
1000 yds.??????????????????? good grief... that's over a half mile...

I'd have a hard time riding a bicycle that far...

I think the longest shot I have ever made was around 350 yds... with my .220 swift... on ground hogs... but it has a very nice scope and I reload for accuracy... but of course... I am an old man now... so I try and keep distances under 150 yds. if possible... mostly deer size game, or an occasional dove with a scatter gun... my little Browning 'Twelvette" a really great bird gun...

... oh, I forgot.. I did make an eight mile shot with a little larger caliber weapon back in the 60's... M101A1; 105 Howitzer... HE... I was pretty good with that one... as long as I could keep recon from moving my aiming stakes (you'll have to google that one)

My .260 Rem. long range rifle and it's a little dick getter. Near the same external ballistics to 1100 yards as the .300 Win. Mag. I know this because my other long range rifle is a .300 Win. Mag.
Air Guns - General Rifle Discussion

I use the pellet air rifle to quietly dispatch pigeons that crap into the horse watering troth which infects the horses gut with their diseases. Pigeons are feathered/disease carrying rats to us

Oh I almost forgot. Here's the bicycle I ride usually 50 miles a weekend.

Air Guns - General Rifle Discussion
Sorry, just couldn't resist bicycle picture

Last edited by mrm14; 02-25-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3574 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1038

Air rifles are very ammo sensitive. Try several different pellet designs and brands. My Benjamin 22 likes 2 different styles of Crossman pellets. I shoot mine at 15 yards off hand in my garage. Mine is a switch barrel so I have a 177 barrel for it but prefer the 22. I am going to try a peep sight in place of the scope. There are peep sights available the mount directly to the 11 mm grooves. Cuts the weight down about a pound. 1100 fps could be just supersonic so you are getting the crack but a lot of those "suppressors" are fakes. One guy on Utube tested one then cut the suppressor off and it was quieter without it. It is legal to suppress an air rifle but it better not be capable of fitting a firearm. Most are loud for the first 50 or so rounds than quiet down some. If I were buying one today I would look at the nitrogen piston powered instead of the spring powered.
Make sure you use an Air Gun rated scope. Springers are notorious for destroying scopes.