After 28 Years an old Friend is coming home! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > After 28 Years an old Friend is coming home!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

What a great deal. I had a similar experience a few years ago -- I was set up at a gun show in Fort Worth, selling knives, and for most of the time I was working alone that weekend, so didn't have as much time as usual to look around. On Sunday I got some help, and cruised the other tables to see what was available. I approached one table that had mostly bolt action hunting rifles, and there it was . . . a 30-06 Springfield that my father had customized when I was about six years old, and that I grew up with, and that was sold while I was away at college more than twenty-five years before.

Needless to say, it went home with me.

BTW, I just picked up an Interarms Mark X in 30-06 a couple of months ago. It seems like a nice rifle, and even being a stock model with a mediocre scope on it is an accurate shooting gun.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Great story. I regretted every one I traded off when I thought I needed to trade instead of add to my collection

Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #13

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

Cool beans! Hopefully the standard lubrication maintenance

protocols were followed. That should be a great rifle.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5800 Times on 3028 Posts
Likes Given: 397

congrats!! must see some pics when you get it!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Thanks to all! Some I am sure will be a little surprised since the original sniper rifles used looked like hunting rifles but with some internal refinements to make them more reliable and accurate. I think of Carlos Hathcock and his Pre-64 Model 70 Sniper Rifles. And we all know the story of his successful missions with them. So if they are expecting to see some black stocked super rifle they may be disappointed. However the old gal speaks for herself regarding dependability and accuracy. She would always nail rounds 1-3 like a tack driver. But always throw a flyer about 1 MOA out on round 4 if you shot consecutive shots and did not let it cool some! And she has been taken care of for all those years it was set in stone in the armory that all weapons would be properly maintained if assigned or not. I will be picking it up on Sept. 9th.
Pictures will be coming.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Possum,

Congrats on your find! You know the feeling of finding something of value that you had written off as long gone and especialy a family keepsake like that! I had a similar experience years ago when my grandfathers child hood friend called me when he was 77 yoa and advised me to come over he had something he wanted to give me. It turned out to be my grandfathers 1890 Hexigon Barreled 22 Short Pump Rifle in excellent condition that my Grandfathers dad had bought for my grandfather when he was 12 years old. He and Leon had made a gun trade years and years ago. I like you were absolutely thrilled to get it. It is truely a keepsake along with the other guns I inherited from my Grandfather. My favorites is this little 22 and the Fox Sterlingworth 20 Ga Double Shotgun grandfather bought during the depression for I believe $32? It was great you found the keeepsake rifle "WOW!" Miracles do happen!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I think of Carlos Hathcock and his Pre-64 Model 70 Sniper Rifles. And we all know the story of his successful missions with them.
And if you aren't, you need to get on our level and start researching them.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
And if you aren't, you need to get on our level and start researching them.
i have two books detailing his life and the man was incredible. very down to earth but very mission oriented and duty bound. he was an amazing shooter with a true talent for shooting. not just as a sniper, but as a competitor as well.

i would have like to have met the man and listened to some of his stories after reading about him.

if i am not mistaken, one of his commanding officers and close friends, Jim Land is on the board of director of the NRA.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i would have like to have met the man and listened to some of his stories after reading about him.
A friend of my wife's family, whose name was John (recently passed away) was a Marine Scout Sniper during Viet Nam. He actually occassionaly worked with (could have been trained with, I'm not positive. I only talked to him once about it) Carlos Hathcock. John was an awesome man, though. I wish I had gotten to meet him earlier on, so I could have spent more time talking with him.

My wife thinks of him (and his wife) as her Uncle (Aunt) even though they aren't related by blood.

When I met him, he blessed me. He is a Native American (ashamedly I can't remember which tribe right now), so his blessing meant a lot. He must've liked me.

Here's a picture of him when he was a Marine. His wife uploaded it to her facebook after his passing. I thought she put the full photo (this one is cropped to just his face) with his rifle in it, but I can't find it right now.

image-3463951884.jpg

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

AXXE & JW,
You are correct he was a common a guy as you could ever want to meet. But just to be around him commanded respect knowing what all he had done. And as stated he was one H of a competitive shooter.
I had the pleasure of meeting Carlos on two occasions. A good friend of mine and instructor was friends with him and been to his home several times. The last time I saw him when Carlos showed up at our Sniper School to see Bob and the guys. He was in a wheelchair the last time I saw him at the school and not doing very well at all. What a shame for an American Hero which he was and to suffer the rest of his life for his brave act saving other soldiers. May he RIP! And God has a special place in Heaven for men like Carlos, England and Kyle! It is too bad he never saw his medal awarded to him by the military but finally his son accepted it on his behalf a few years after his death.

*Patrick Henry

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This