Advise needed. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Advise needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 565 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 180

You may also consider a Ruger 77,,, I do not own one but my brother does in various calibers and his .375 Ruger is one of the most accurate rifle in a heavy caliber that I have ever shot although I feel the rifle is too light for the caliber, a heavier laminate stock on that model or a design similar to the one on their scout rifle would be far more shooter friendly. His others in smaller bores are very accurate and reliable, another possible choice for you, you could also find a good action and work on getting a semi-custom rifle built to your personal taste and fit, more costly but I feel a good compromise between standard factory and the real high dollar models, good luck.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #22

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I would never consider a Blaser as Perfection when it comes to firearms. They are a fine piece of craftsmanship/art,but I don't know too many hunter's/shooter's that shoot Blaser's.
I'd take a nice Cooper over a Blaser anyday.I wouldn't cry if I scratched or dinged up a Cooper.

The 300 WM is a great caliber for big game hunting,and long range shooting,but your talking about two completely different styles of rifles.
Your really not going to go out and shoot long range targets with a hunting rifle,the barrel will heat up after a couple shots,and the recoil will punish you after a few shots. And,you really don't want to carry around a 300 WM target rifle for hunting. Mine weighs around 17 lbs.
There are plenty of calibers that shoot flat,and a long ways without beating your shoulder and body to death.

The 260 Remington,6.5 Creedmoor,6.5x55 Swede,7mm-08,308,and 30/06 would be good choices also.
You don't need a Magnum caliber to shoot far.
I have to say I agree with you about the Blazer and the scratches. I am friends with a German fellow who has a couple and does hunt with them but he is the only guy I know who hunts with them. Dream Rifle would have to been a Kenny Jarrett in either 25-06 or 300 Win Mag and topped with a suitable piece of glass.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
What caliber would you suggest. Just a good flat shooter. Plenty of power between 300 and 1000 yards that doesn't break the bank to shoot
I haven't seen you mention an actual intended use. Nor whether you load yourself or need factory ammo.

While .308 will certainly make it to 1K yards, it's less than ideal. If you handload, consider the .284 if you want something to shoot both targets at long distance and game. The 180 gr. bullets have some of the best ballistics for their weight. To beat a 7mm Berger 180 hybrid, you'd need to go with their .30 cal 215 gr. hybrid AND need a case capable of driving it fast enough to beat its' 7mm counterpart (plus you're gonna have to deal with more recoil).

If you don't need something to hunt anything larger than say, a small deer, consider the 6mm BR. It's an excellent target round that is capable of match winning accuracy at 1K yards.

If you don't reload, that narrows your caliber selection quite a bit and I've done a lot of typing for nothing. Commercial "match" .260 is pricey and limited. There's a few boutique makers that are pretty good. Otherwise, I would have to lean towards the Federal Match .308 with the 175 Sierra's.

Brands - Bat, Kelbly, Borden, Surgeon, GA precision, to name a few. Shilen actions are set up like Savages with the barrel nut and built by Stiller. Pretty sure you could utilize the vast supply of Savage prefits with the Shilen. You could have a .308, .260, .284, 6BR, etc. all on the same action. Changing barrels would take all of about 10 minutes. All rifles mentioned above would have very smooth actions with excellent accuracy.

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22214 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster74 View Post
I understand that the shooter has to be accurate. But some rounds are just plain flat shooters. Like .17hmr. 22.250 and .243 are just plain fast flat liners. Just tryin to find comparable in heavy weight
still hinges upon the person pulling the trigger. the caliber is irrelevent if the person can't shoot. the rifle is irrelevent. the scope is irrelevent.

buying expensive or fancy equipment will not compensate for a person's inability to shoot. and there is no substitute for getting better at shooting than sending rounds down range. heavy magnum calibers will beat you something fierce and unless you reload, are very expensive to shoot. i own a few calibers, that would cost between $40-50 per box of 20 in factory premium ammo to shoot, and would limit the amount i could shoot them, but by reloading, i can shoot much more, at about 1/4 the cost of factory ammo.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
There are a lot of fine rifles out there including the Howa, Weatherby, and CZ but IMHO the Winchester model 70 is about the best bolt rifle ever so I would give that a close look.
ahh the model 70 simply a modernized Mauser 98 much improved but ive added all the m70 features to my 98 as all except a little work with the trigger is simply bolt on.

btw model 70 pre 64 and model 70 classic are the good ones every other model 70 is a lesser being

Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #26

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post

ahh the model 70 simply a modernized Mauser 98 much improved but ive added all the m70 features to my 98 as all except a little work with the trigger is simply bolt on.

btw model 70 pre 64 and model 70 classic are the good ones every other model 70 is a lesser being
What's your thoughts on the newest model 70? They brought the CRF back supposedly. I haven't even seen one in person yet.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post

i have to differ with your assessment. my father bought a M70 new in 1969 chambered in 243. i know that this rifle has been shot many thousands of times with him using it for target shooting and my brother and i using it for deer hunting. i had the opportunity just a couple of years ago to mount a new scope on it for him and got to shoot it again after 30 years. that rifle is still a one hole grouper! i don't by any means consider it lesser because it's not a pre-1964 model. i think that many owners of post 1964 models would also disagree with that statement as well.

and Winchester M70's are not the only Mauser copies. there are many others as well.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
and Winchester M70's are not the only Mauser copies. there are many others as well.
Exhibit A
Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Exhibit A
the first generation Ruger M77's were a very close copy of the Mauser actions as well.

i have heard people over the years talk about the older Ruger M77's not being accurate rifles. well either they know nothing about shooting or i have been blessed by everyone that i have owned over the years, as being very accurate rifles. i have owned 7 or 8 of them over the years, and my current one, a heavy barreled 280 Rem. will produce one hole groups, when i do my part.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yes agreed it is not the only "upgrade" path that mausers too but the M70 is my favorite version

and im not saying the non pre64/classic are bad guns im just saying that things like firingpin holdback safetys and CRF are much better than alternatives and should be included in any bolt gun