advice wanted for old 30-06 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > advice wanted for old 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mag is the word i was looking for...thx, the handgun shoots well cuz i was the one of few to shoot it when new, only concern was how loose the magazine feels upon firing it , almost like the stock mag. doesnt fill space tight enough ? its probably normal , reason i ask is of the glock does have same feel

Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #12

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax79 View Post
mag is the word i was looking for...thx, the handgun shoots well cuz i was the one of few to shoot it when new, only concern was how loose the magazine feels upon firing it , almost like the stock mag. doesnt fill space tight enough ? its probably normal , reason i ask is of the glock does have same feel
Most magazines will have a little wobble in them. In the gun world (to a certain extent) 'loose' means reliable, 'tight' means accurate, you need a balance between the two.

Taurus also has a lifetime warranty, so if there is an issue, they should take care of it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
A little off subject - but it is your thread...
It sounds like you have some history with this Taurus - perhaps you know the owner?
I'm just gonna throw this out there:
Taurus does have a generally not so shiny reputation with many gun people. Myself - this past year I bought a new Taurus semi-auto. It had many problems. I sold it off quickly. The problems were not limited to my handling of it - I had two friends use the gun, and both had the problems and both disliked the gun - one refused to shoot it anymore after one magazine.
The problems were failure to feed, jam, stovepipe, and ... it even ejected casing back towards your face hitting your forehead at times! Not only that, for it's caliber it had a harsher recoil than another brand that I went to.
It was not a 45, though.
I know this is not really what you want to hear... But, boy, I did not like that gun!

The price you are dealing for is good, though ... if you can get the company to make the gun function well for you.
But you may be haunted by Taurus reputation - if it is your intent to keep it for only a short time and try to sell afterwards.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10409 Times on 4490 Posts
Likes Given: 1654

Regarding your rifle- as said, having been modified, has lost a LARGE chunk of the value. That WAS about an $800-$900 rifle.

The On-OFF is not a safety- it is the magazine cutoff. In the off position it is a single shot. See HERE for more info- http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/operations.asp

Regarding safety- it would be prudent to have it checked by a gunsmith. SOME early 03s had a heat treatment problem- this is from the Civilian Marksmanship Program:

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS

M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).

CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

CMP ALSO DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, REGARDLESS OF SERIAL NUMBER, WITH A SINGLE HEAT-TREATED “LOW NUMBER” BOLT. SUCH BOLTS, WHILE HISTORICALLY CORRECT FOR DISPLAY WITH A RIFLE OF WWI OR EARLIER VINTAGE, MAY BE DANGEROUS TO USE FOR SHOOTING.

You may be able to find the parts to return your rifle to it's military state- will not be cheap, and will not restore the full value of an original rifle.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/Rifles-42386/SpringfieldModels-40111/Springfield1903A3-42095/PartsList-42071.htm?results=All

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/Rifles-42386/SpringfieldModels-40111/Springfield1903A3-42095/StocksHandguards-42072.htm

Regarding ammo- your rifle is capable of shooting any standard 30-06 cartridge. The M1 Garand has limitations on ammo since it is gas operated. Your rifle does not.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Reply for colby

Yep..my buddys new gun we fired as new from box!! Im considering to buy it from him for the price he got it, or too high from a gun show booth(dealer) we questioned if was reasonalble $,, asking for advice if was a good deal before i invest..i really enjoy holding ,that gun as it was mine in my question, i guess? Ha

Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
most magazines will have a little wobble in them. In the gun world (to a certain extent) 'loose' means reliable, 'tight' means accurate, you need a balance between the two.

Taurus also has a lifetime warranty, so if there is an issue, they should take care of it.
im new to the gun owner club,always been out hunting and shooting off friends guns forever it seems, no vetran but beyond safe buddys, so the terms i use are off point vetran terms...i will take your good helpful advice , but i will say, most would take the same adviceas semi insulting . From the way it reads back, but no harm no foul bud ...im learning everyday, help from replies like yours are great...thank you

Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
most magazines will have a little wobble in them. In the gun world (to a certain extent) 'loose' means reliable, 'tight' means accurate, you need a balance between the two.

, im thankfull for your help , i just needed to mention your advice is professional as i hoped..... But as a friendly suggestion it could be taken negative by some in that context ....,well i can't say (thx enough !) enjoy your monday and keep the advice going for rook's like me !!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #18

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
gotcha..your advice is helpfull, i posted more pics after your reply of bolt action to help you see better...and the on/off tab option that seems like a safety ,but doesnt seem to lock the trigger in my use? if you have spare time ,im about to purchace a taurus .45 cal 24/7 handgun in mint to only shot once condition with a few clips included this week for $250.00. would u say thats reasoable $ in your experiance?
The On Off tab deals with the mag. They where designed to allow a full loaded mag to no tallow rounds to feed from the mag dependent on the position of the switch. This was an ammo saving thing mad up by higher ups. You could load the mag then chamber a round and loading it like a single shot unless you needed to fire faster.

Fantastic rifles by the way. They can get shoot at some impressive ranges.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7297 Times on 4033 Posts
Likes Given: 7071

The hard receivers were on early 1903 Springfields, NOT 1903A3s.

ALL 1903 A3 rifles are safe to shoot if in good condition!

The 1903 has an open sight. The 1903 A3 has a receiver (peep) sight.

The rifle in the picture is a 1903A3.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Last edited by locutus; 12-17-2012 at 02:34 PM.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1537 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Here is all I can tell you, don`t know if it will help or not but I have seen em go unmolested for as much as 2500 bucks, now read this & ask yourself, is it safe ? Yes they are SAFE...............
toms-pics-002.jpg