Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   advice wanted for old 30-06 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/advice-wanted-old-30-06-a-78655/)

duramax79 12-17-2012 07:55 AM

advice wanted for old 30-06

8 Attachment(s)
i was givin a remington 03-a3 #4062907 today .....any advice on its( value) and if how to( maintain) or shooting it is safe?? this is my first rifle so im green !! haha.... seems to be stock and has (ra) stamped on the wood stock and tip if barrel along as well with (fja)on the stock..... and the( on/off) tab near the chamber seems like a "safety", but doesnt seem to lock it?? thank you, for any rough value estimates and advice is thankfull

duramax79 12-17-2012 08:01 AM

if my post needs more details for my requsted advice please ask..

im on arizona time ,i will check every few days for replys ! thank yu fellas and gals

sputnik1988 12-17-2012 08:06 AM

That stock has been sporterized so it does hurt the value a bit, you may be able to find another stock, beautiful rifle though.

I'm no expert for sure, but I've seen them for $700-$1000, it's not a cheap rifle.

Also, I can't really tell, but if the bolt handle is straight rather than swept back , it's ill-advised to shoot it, something about the early bolts being brittle.

duramax79 12-17-2012 08:29 AM

response

thank you, my grandfather left it behind for me. the lever is angled down versus strait? if that helps any,,also any advice on cost and quality of just range shooting bullets?

duramax79 12-17-2012 08:31 AM

not familair with term of sporterized? like damage or dings?

Colby 12-17-2012 08:37 AM

He means the gun has been changed to make it look less military and more like a sporting rifle - a hunting rifle like you would buy at a store. Most the changes are usually done to the stock - getting a more sleek look, etc.
This is a common thing done to military rifles.

I can't comment on your particular gun. I'm not familiar with it. But I like all old guns.

sputnik1988 12-17-2012 08:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. by 'straight bolt', I mean't bent at a 90 degree angle (1st pic) versus swept back as in the 2nd pic.

I Like the Prvi partizan (IIRC) ammo for fmjs, but I normally just buy 150 grain Federal at Walmart as it's easier. All 30-06 ammo is expensive ($0.60-$0.80 a round.)

Sporterized is a term meaning that the stock and or sights have been modified to be more like a sporting or hunting rifle rather than a military rifle.

duramax79 12-17-2012 08:55 AM

for colby

thank you friend,,i posted a few more pics to round off my questions about rifles and this one in general..any help would be great

duramax79 12-17-2012 09:02 AM

gotcha..your advice is helpfull, i posted more pics after your reply of bolt action to help you see better...and the on/off tab option that seems like a safety ,but doesnt seem to lock the trigger in my use? if you have spare time ,im about to purchace a taurus .45 cal 24/7 handgun in mint to only shot once condition with a few clips included this week for $250.00. would u say thats reasoable $ in your experiance?

sputnik1988 12-17-2012 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That looks like a swept bolt handle, I'd say it fine to shoot. Brown bear ammo is also available and somewhat cheaper if you don't intend to start reloading your spent casings

Taurus can make a good handgun, most people turn their noses up at them, but much of the bad publicity is unwarranted. $250 is very reasonable. and they shoot pretty well in my experience.

Also, it's a magazine, not a clip, common misconception.;)

This is a clip.