Advice on trigger adjustments
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Advice on trigger adjustments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Advice on trigger adjustments

Lately 80% of my range time is shooting my 91/30s. The last couple of times I took my Stevens 200 and my 700 BDL just to see how well they are holding zero. Everyone knows how terrible the Mosin trigger is even at its best. When I switch to the more modern rifle they seem to be firing before I am completely ready. I've since adjusted the pull up on the Stevens but haven't had it back to the range. The last time I shot the 700 the pull was more like a touch. I bought the gun used but in new condition. What I'm worried about is if the trigger has been adjusted by a previous owner to create an unsafe rifle. I must admit all the negative attention to the Remington 700 has been considered. I am a Remington lover and have tried to ignore the negative publicity but it haunts me. I could probably get used to the light trigger but it is definately too light for hunting. Without looking I think the gun was made in 1974. Any suggestions on how to adjust it a little heavyer, or even if I should. The gun is a 243 and shoots a 5 round, cold shot group of .362 MOA.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

google adjusting the remington m700 trigger. there are several articles that address your problem. before you do any adjusting, do the safety tests they recommend after you adjust the trigger. could be after shooting the mosin that it just seems like the triggers are lighter and probably are compared to the mosin rifle. hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

I have to agree that it may be relative to the Mosin trigger.I did install a Timney on one of the Mosins. I will have to take them to the range and do another camparison. In a perfect world, all my triggers would be the same but, that is not possible. I have a milsurp trigger finger.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Lately 80% of my range time is shooting my 91/30s. The last couple of times I took my Stevens 200 and my 700 BDL just to see how well they are holding zero. Everyone knows how terrible the Mosin trigger is even at its best. When I switch to the more modern rifle they seem to be firing before I am completely ready. I've since adjusted the pull up on the Stevens but haven't had it back to the range. The last time I shot the 700 the pull was more like a touch. I bought the gun used but in new condition. What I'm worried about is if the trigger has been adjusted by a previous owner to create an unsafe rifle. I must admit all the negative attention to the Remington 700 has been considered. I am a Remington lover and have tried to ignore the negative publicity but it haunts me. I could probably get used to the light trigger but it is definately too light for hunting. Without looking I think the gun was made in 1974. Any suggestions on how to adjust it a little heavyer, or even if I should. The gun is a 243 and shoots a 5 round, cold shot group of .362 MOA.
when i adjust a trigger on one of my rifles that has such ill do a drop test to see if the sear will hold. ill make sure the gun is empty and close the bolt drop it from about waist height onto the carpeted floor so the butt hits first. if i can pull the trigger afterwards and it goes click im good to go.

the remington msnbc story is utter Bullsh@t. none of those rifles were sent to remington none of those rifles were later able to demonstrate the occurance with a remington armorer present. what causes the remington 700 trigger to go off closing the safety is the END USER adjusting the trigger weight way beyound the lowest safe setting on the trigger.

i was able to duplicate that condition on my old 700 by adjusting the trigger past its lower stop.

the 700 is NOT a defective gun just the incompetent user bubbaing the gun is. police are not above the title of bubbasmithing. ive seen more than a few bubba guns police "snipers" use at ranges i attend.

i ended up selling my 700 because i had issues loading the internal magazine. no other reason.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

I don't believe the gun is defective but I have reason to believe the trigger has been adjusted beyond the safe point. I have done the drop test several times with no disengagement of the sear. What I would like to know is, do the ADs occur after the trigger is pulled while the safety is on and when the safety is moved to the off position. I really like this rifle but I just want to be sure it will never go off inadvertantly. I can assure you the gun will always be pointed in a safe direction. I do believe that the negative publicity is B.S. but I also know accidental discharges do happen for what ever reason. I will disassemble the action from the stock and tighten up the pull until I'm confident there is no problem. Safe is good, Sorry sucks!

Paul.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

See if a local shop or gunsmith has a trigger pull scale.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
See if a local shop or gunsmith has a trigger pull scale.
i think i am going to invest in buying a trigger gauge for my own use. this way i would know exactly what trigger pull weight i have.