Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Advice in scope mount Rem 700 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/advice-scope-mount-rem-700-a-99939/)

hkhunter 11-04-2013 11:50 PM

I traded for a Rem 700 270 Win with a Leopold Gen I 3x9x40 scope with a 1 piece Leopold mount. It shot fine at 100 yds. I did not like the scope so I put a Leopold Var X II 3x9 on it. I could only get the vertical adjustment 6" high at 100yd with recticle bottomed out. I changed the scope out with a Shepard set up for 7 mm mag. I sighted it 1" low at 50 yd but the recticle was bottomed out. I have not shot it at 100 yd or farther. Unless the mount is machined off, a 20 moa rail mount would make it worse if it's the gun. Everything is right and tight. I have a two piece mount, if it does not shoot too high at 100 I might try that first.

Txhillbilly 11-05-2013 06:36 AM

Can you post a picture of your set-up?
Something just doesn't sound right. So,your saying the rifle was shooting 6" high at 100 yards,and you were out of adjustment on the vertical adjustment.
While I have never cared for Leupold scopes,I've never heard of them running out of adjustment trying to sight in a 270 with one of their mounts.
IMO,Your going backwards putting a Shepherd scope on any rifle.Their glass is about as clear as the bottom of a Coke bottle!

hkhunter 11-06-2013 12:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic if the current scope mounted

Txhillbilly 11-06-2013 02:00 AM

From the picture,everything looks OK.
If your scopes turrets are at their adjustment limits something is wrong.
Have you tried to center the reticle of your scopes on that rifle? When set to a dead center vertical/windage,you shouldn't be but a few MOA off from the centerline of the bore,and even cheap 1" tube scopes have around 20-25 moa of adjustment range either way from dead center.

Without actually seeing the rifle,it's hard to tell you what is wrong. If it was just happening to the Leupold scope,it could be a scope problem.But,your saying the Shepherd scope is also out of adjustment,so that makes me think it is a mount/base problem.

MOshooter 11-06-2013 01:52 PM

I agree with TX,
If both scopes you have replaced are acting the same way?,I would take a hard long look at the rings and the base mount.

Question the scope that was originally on the rifle when you purchased it,did it have any type of tube damage?

chloeshooter 11-06-2013 02:23 PM

Are you saying the best it could do was an inch low at 50 yds, or was that your intent? Dead on at 50 should be your goal, that should get you 1.2" high at 100 and dead on again at 200 (approximate).

1 inch low at 50 on purpose makes no sense

hkhunter 11-07-2013 12:58 AM

The original Leopold scope is the type where the crosshair moves up when you increase power, I did not like that feature so I replaced the scope with a spare I had.
The accuracy was fine with the old scope and I had no problems checking it at 100 yd.
The old scope was fine.
Both the other scopes ran out of adjustment, although I think the Shepard will work at 100, I just wonder why both ran out of adjustment.
I think the mount is off somewhat because the scopes fit fine in the rings.

hkhunter 11-07-2013 01:04 AM

I have bore sighted at least 30 scopes and never have run out of adjustment at 100 yds.
I was concerned if I change loads or bullet weight. I would have problems again.
I think I might measure the front and rear mount thickness and compare to a new long action mount.