Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Advice on redoing a rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
To me you are commiting a historical crime.
Call the Time Police

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
To me you are commiting a historical crime. I can never figure why people want to remove a guns history. Every dent, ding, and rub mark is evidence that this gun, unlike most, has been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. I am as a proud as a new papa of every scar my rifles, knives, tools and truck has. While most guns dont get used much and only taken out to go to the range in a padded case then in the same case to a tree stand and home, working guns are an American icon. Whenever time allows I take one of my well worn guns afield. I sit with it and wonder what this gun has done and where has it been to look like it does. What I would suggest is to ask the original owner of this beloved gun where it has been, what it has done and how many game animals it has taken, then write it down and leave it with the gun. Everytime I see a working gun next to some closet queens the only gun that attracts me is the working gun. Why not use the money you are going to spend destroying this gun and buy a new one instead and leave this gun alone? If you refinish this gun you will just end up with another shiny gun. Instead show off this gun to your buddies and explain that this is what a working gun looks like and every mark on it is this guns service stripes. Just my opinion.
I WISH i could track down the original owner(s) of this gun and ask. That would be too cool!

I am also of this opinion as well...sorta, kinda, for the most part.

tis why i posted this query. To get others opinions and take on this.

To tell the truth YOU GUYS AINT HELPIN'!

But seriously, THANKS!

IMHO the best advice so far is...
Quote:
Get any small parts like springs fireing pin, extractor. that type of items that will not be avaible as the years go by.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
fmj

**Back story**

I was looking for a .44 mag. auto to use for deer in this NON HP state. Shopped for quite a while hunting one. Found one locally but the guy wanted STOOPID money for it. So a couple buds suggested i tag along with them to the Indy 1500 gun show. So i did, out of over prolly 150,000 guns (vendor and private) i bagged the ONLY Ruger .44 mag in the place. After a bit a of dickering, and the flashing of a fistful of bennies i bagged her for a couple hundred under budget.

Heres some shots of her...before and after....

As Purchased...

How she groups...5 rounds factory ammo.....

How shes set up now...

Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
fmj

"Character marks"..."dings and dents"

Worn finish...

Last edited by fmj; 10-08-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #15

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

covering character and repairing are two different things. Keep it in good working order is all I would do. The advice about collecting some of the hard to find parts probably is the best advice you'll get.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
fmj

OK, WTH am i going to find the springs,firing pins etc etc for a gun that hasnt been in production for over 20 years?!?!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

That is quite a good looking rifle. It appears to have done some serious work in the past. Now see where and what you can do with her.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #18

Default wow do I agree with you.

30-30 Remchester I tip my hat to you. You just said something I don't think I could have put into better words. The "history" of a firearm is the nicks and scratches you talk about. I have always been attracted to "used" guns that tell a story and everytime I buy a gun from someone I ask for the story behind it. Who owned it and what do you know about it. So many people want to "restore" a firearm. In my humble opinion there is no such thing as "Firearms restoration" Only the continued destruction of history. It's sorta like wanting to raise someone from the dead. It can't be done. Now "repairing" a firearm is possible and permissable as long as you keep it within reasonable limits. Sandpaper is an abomination to the wood of a old rifle. Just my opinion.

Gunfire is the sound of freedom

Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #19
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
OK, WTH am i going to find the springs,firing pins etc etc for a gun that hasnt been in production for over 20 years?!?!

Numrich Gun Parts!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the kind words MECANIK. Its nice to know there are others out there with my tastes. There are instances inwhich I feel strong measures must be taken. I just was handed an old Mossberg 22 that had been abandoned in an old tool shed. The stock had gotten so wet over the years that the grain had opened up and the finish fallen off. Light rust had completely covered the metal. In these instance I personally dont consider this 'HISTORY", I consider it neglected. I was able to very lightly sand the stock after a wood filler filled the open grain. Stain and finish was applied to the stock then and with considerable elbow grease and steelwool the bluing reappeared though thin. When all was done the old Mossberg went from unusable to at least a nice barn gun. Old knives as well can tell a story so I lightly clean them and use whatever measures must be taken to stop active rust as this is a cancer that will destroy either gun or knife if left. However the rifle in the pictures just looks cool. An honest hard working gun with caracter.