Advice on redoing a rifle...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Advice on redoing a rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Advice on redoing a rifle...

Its a should or should not kinda thing i am getting at here. Everything i have ever read/seen/heard about refinishing a gun is that it takes the "Collector" value out of the gun.

The gun in question is my Ruger 44. It was manufactured in 1967 and these guns arent being made anymore nor have they for quite a while. They are hard to find and as time goes by i am sure they will become more and more collectible.

Now, the stock is kinda beat up, knicks and dings and the finish is worn off in spots. Something one would expect from a gun that is 44 years old and has been used as a "brush" hunting gun. I have been thinking about ordering a new stock from Midwayusa.com and dropping the the steel parts into it. The bluing/steel is in good condition overall.

Should i or should i not?? This is the question i am posing here.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Reversable mods where the old original parts can be readily restored doesnt hurt the value at all. Long as you save the originals.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Reversable mods where the old original parts can be readily restored doesnt hurt the value at all. Long as you save the originals.
I did think about that.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I agree changing the stock isn't going to destroy the value but if its something that you plan on giving the kid in twenty years then while little things here or there might make so collectors go crazy but if it keeps the 44 serviceable then go for it, I don't know about you but there are quite a few guns that I have no plan on selling.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Its a should or should not kinda thing i am getting at here. Everything i have ever read/seen/heard about refinishing a gun is that it takes the "Collector" value out of the gun.

The gun in question is my Ruger 44. It was manufactured in 1967 and these guns arent being made anymore nor have they for quite a while. They are hard to find and as time goes by i am sure they will become more and more collectible.

Now, the stock is kinda beat up, knicks and dings and the finish is worn off in spots. Something one would expect from a gun that is 44 years old and has been used as a "brush" hunting gun. I have been thinking about ordering a new stock from Midwayusa.com and dropping the the steel parts into it. The bluing/steel is in good condition overall.

Should i or should i not?? This is the question i am posing here.
Unless the gun is in new unfired condition with box and papers the chances of "value" becoming a major issue within your lifetime are almost nonexistent. I have no problems taking a good working gun and diving it a facelift.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanss2112 View Post
I agree changing the stock isn't going to destroy the value but if its something that you plan on giving the kid in twenty years then while little things here or there might make so collectors go crazy but if it keeps the 44 serviceable then go for it, I don't know about you but there are quite a few guns that I have no plan on selling.
Yeah, i dont really intend on selling it. When i am dead and gone it will be the one of the kids guns, prolly the youngest considering hes the one that seems to really have the shooting/hunting bug. Its in "serviceable" condition now, just a little beat up is all.

I am like you, most of the guns i have will NEVER get sold. One is a Rem gamemaster .35 with a 3 digit serial # in pristine condition that was my Grandpas (He was his dads 2nd son, it went to my dad his dads 2nd son, i am my dads 2nd son....any guesses which of my sons gets it when i am dead?) My dads Rem Model four in 06, My dads Ithica 37, My grandpas Win. 61 in pristine condition and so on and so forth...nothing really valuable but in my eyes PRICELESS pieces. I am just the caretaker until they become my kids.

Quote:
Unless the gun is in new unfired condition with box and papers the chances of "value" becoming a major issue within your lifetime are almost nonexistent. I have no problems taking a good working gun and diving it a facelift.
10-4

I am just looking down the line to when one of my grandkids ends up with it. Something a little more valuable....i hope the next generations have the same mentality as I....knowing what you have but having no intentions of ever selling, just knowing you have something of value. I dont know if that makes any sense to anyone but me?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #7

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Since your going to keep in the family thats all ready a well used firearm then buy'n parts that may not be easy to find as time goes by as smart but I would not just dress it up for the sake of makeing it look better. Get any small parts like springs fireing pin, extractor. that type of items that will not be avaible as the years go by. A oringinal stock would be nice but not a repo. Nothing wrong with a great used looking well mantained used firerm, thats just the character showing.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah don't worry about it. You intend to pass it on, so keep it in good shape. Like someone else said, NIB unfired would be one thing, but this one obviously isn't. Just take care of it by whatever means you deem worthy.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

HEres my take on redoing firearms. Do you plan on keeping forever? I know people always change there minds, and who knows 10 years down the road you might want to sell it, idk.

If you have no intentions of selling it ever, than do what you want to it. You could always do a factory restore, or as close as you can get.

Sorry if that doesn't help, it works for me!

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

To me you are commiting a historical crime. I can never figure why people want to remove a guns history. Every dent, ding, and rub mark is evidence that this gun, unlike most, has been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. I am as a proud as a new papa of every scar my rifles, knives, tools and truck has. While most guns dont get used much and only taken out to go to the range in a padded case then in the same case to a tree stand and home, working guns are an American icon. Whenever time allows I take one of my well worn guns afield. I sit with it and wonder what this gun has done and where has it been to look like it does. What I would suggest is to ask the original owner of this beloved gun where it has been, what it has done and how many game animals it has taken, then write it down and leave it with the gun. Everytime I see a working gun next to some closet queens the only gun that attracts me is the working gun. Why not use the money you are going to spend destroying this gun and buy a new one instead and leave this gun alone? If you refinish this gun you will just end up with another shiny gun. Instead show off this gun to your buddies and explain that this is what a working gun looks like and every mark on it is this guns service stripes. Just my opinion.