Advice on an Eastern US deer rifle.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Advice on an Eastern US deer rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Advice on an Eastern US deer rifle.

Despite having a few firerams in my collection, I don't have a good bolt-action deer rifle. Thus, a well-performing .270 bolt-action rifle is high on my weapons wish list. I haven't decided on a certain brand so if anyone has any recommendations or input about their own .270 rifle I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I don't have a lot of disposable income so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. Right now I'm liking the Marlin XL7C but I'm not sure if I want a composite stock or a walnut stock. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. For now I just have to stick with the iron sights on my antique .30-.30 Winchester lever-action with iron sights.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Howa 1500

It's a CNC machined piece of Japanese steel, but it's a hell of a good action.

For the money, it will treat you right.

I built my grandfather one, a .25-06, for hunting deer in Michigan. He loved it.

JD

Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The marlin is a decent choice.

Me I would go with a savage (Mainly because it ain't jap it is MADE IN THE USA).

Just ask JD I am not a Howa fan at all. If you want synthetic go with a Remmy 700 SPS.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Marlin XL-7 in .270 in my safe that I bought for a buddy (Patrick Sperry) and quite frankly-it's performance suprised the hell out of me. It groups averaged about 1 inch for 3 shots at 100 yards from a rest, with the smallest group being 5/8" to the largest group being about 1.5". This is with the cheapest ammo I could find-federal blue box 130 gr. I did perform a trigger job, lapped it in, and broke it in properly-that's it. Do I recommend the Marlin bolt rifles-hell yeah! I'm going to get the same in 7mm08 for use as a beater rifle. I firmly believe they're the best choice available in the 300$ price range.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #5

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I don't have any experience with the Marlin, but it is hard to beat the accuracy of a Savage. I am not a fan of anything chambered in .270, but I think that Savage is a good choice. I do think that if you have to buy something made in Japan to be in the woods more, go for it. The Howa's are real nice rifles and are a great value for what you get. I would look into the 25-06 though. I think that it is hard to beat a 25-06 for deer hunting.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a Mossberg ATR in 30-06 I bought in college. The trigger sucks but it will hold 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I have been thinking about getting something else or working on the trigger. I've been eyeing the Marlin as well, the trigger is nice, from what I've read/heard they are accurate and they are well priced. I've had great sucess with all the Marlins I've used. In my mind they are good rifles.

I have no experience with the Howa but JD won't steer your wrong. I'm actually going to look into them a little more.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After reading the Hornady handloading manual I think I'm going to get a 30-06 simply for more terminal energy than the 270 has. Now I just need to save up for one.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can't really go wrong with either a 270 or 30-06 but the 30-06 can do everything a 270 can do and then some. If you start handloading you can make a 30-06 really work for you from 110gr up to 250gr and with a Lee hand loader, some bullets, powder and primers you can start hand loading for less then $75 if you shop around. You may need some other tools such as a caliper but I can help you out there.

Still looking at the Marlin?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sure am. I just need to find some junk around the house to sell so I can "trade" it for a rifle.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can personally vouch for the marlins. I had 1 and it exceeded my expectations. Much more accurate than I expected and a great trigger. They even come with the scope bases for Weaver type rings.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!