Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Advice on an Eastern US deer rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/advice-eastern-us-deer-rifle-19020/)

kusterleXD 10-11-2009 12:38 AM

Advice on an Eastern US deer rifle.

Despite having a few firerams in my collection, I don't have a good bolt-action deer rifle. Thus, a well-performing .270 bolt-action rifle is high on my weapons wish list. I haven't decided on a certain brand so if anyone has any recommendations or input about their own .270 rifle I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I don't have a lot of disposable income so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak. Right now I'm liking the Marlin XL7C but I'm not sure if I want a composite stock or a walnut stock. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. For now I just have to stick with the iron sights on my antique .30-.30 Winchester lever-action with iron sights.

Dillinger 10-11-2009 01:06 AM

Howa 1500

It's a CNC machined piece of Japanese steel, but it's a hell of a good action.

For the money, it will treat you right.

I built my grandfather one, a .25-06, for hunting deer in Michigan. He loved it.

JD

cpttango30 10-11-2009 01:26 AM

The marlin is a decent choice.

Me I would go with a savage (Mainly because it ain't jap it is MADE IN THE USA).

Just ask JD I am not a Howa fan at all. If you want synthetic go with a Remmy 700 SPS.

stalkingbear 10-11-2009 02:09 AM

I have a Marlin XL-7 in .270 in my safe that I bought for a buddy (Patrick Sperry) and quite frankly-it's performance suprised the hell out of me. It groups averaged about 1 inch for 3 shots at 100 yards from a rest, with the smallest group being 5/8" to the largest group being about 1.5". This is with the cheapest ammo I could find-federal blue box 130 gr. I did perform a trigger job, lapped it in, and broke it in properly-that's it. Do I recommend the Marlin bolt rifles-hell yeah! I'm going to get the same in 7mm08 for use as a beater rifle. I firmly believe they're the best choice available in the 300$ price range.

CaseyChadwell 10-11-2009 05:33 AM

I don't have any experience with the Marlin, but it is hard to beat the accuracy of a Savage. I am not a fan of anything chambered in .270, but I think that Savage is a good choice. I do think that if you have to buy something made in Japan to be in the woods more, go for it. The Howa's are real nice rifles and are a great value for what you get. I would look into the 25-06 though. I think that it is hard to beat a 25-06 for deer hunting.

spittinfire 10-11-2009 12:06 PM

I've got a Mossberg ATR in 30-06 I bought in college. The trigger sucks but it will hold 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I have been thinking about getting something else or working on the trigger. I've been eyeing the Marlin as well, the trigger is nice, from what I've read/heard they are accurate and they are well priced. I've had great sucess with all the Marlins I've used. In my mind they are good rifles.

I have no experience with the Howa but JD won't steer your wrong. I'm actually going to look into them a little more.

kusterleXD 01-31-2010 05:51 PM

After reading the Hornady handloading manual I think I'm going to get a 30-06 simply for more terminal energy than the 270 has. Now I just need to save up for one.

spittinfire 01-31-2010 06:05 PM

You can't really go wrong with either a 270 or 30-06 but the 30-06 can do everything a 270 can do and then some. If you start handloading you can make a 30-06 really work for you from 110gr up to 250gr and with a Lee hand loader, some bullets, powder and primers you can start hand loading for less then $75 if you shop around. You may need some other tools such as a caliper but I can help you out there.

Still looking at the Marlin?

kusterleXD 01-31-2010 06:15 PM

Sure am. I just need to find some junk around the house to sell so I can "trade" it for a rifle.

stalkingbear 01-31-2010 06:17 PM

I can personally vouch for the marlins. I had 1 and it exceeded my expectations. Much more accurate than I expected and a great trigger. They even come with the scope bases for Weaver type rings.