Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ACR vs SCAR My report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ACR vs SCAR My report

Well, I will start out by saying I am very impressed by both rifles as far as design and function are concerned. The ACR "Gun of the year" 2011 was recalled. Apearently some of them were taking off in full auto. I got mine back from BM no problems. I've wanted to get both of these two for about a year now. I was very excited to finally have the two in my possession and mount some ACOGs to see what they were capable of.
I want to discuss the following:
Anesthetics
Ergos
Accuracy
Breakdown
Weight

Anesthetics
I prefer the ACRs looks but primarily for only one reason. I am a big MAGPUL fan and I love the design and look of the stock and grip. I am very much not a fan of the SCARs stock in the way of looks.

Ergonomics
The rifles are very similar in the way of ergos. The stocks both operate and adjust easily and both gun feel great and point naturally. I really like the cheek risers on both. The stocks fold nicely to the side and the lock features snap tightly into place. Both cycle well in the folded position. Both rifles flip up sights work well. The ACR gets props for the battery assist device, I really like this feature. Both have easy to reach select fire swithes, that move easily and have predominent detents.

Accuracy
Well what can I say...........at 50-100 yards both met my expectations the SCAR seemed to group better at first with factory settings on the open sights. The ACR required some fine tuning. In the end they were pretty well matched. I was using Federal 55 Gr FMJ boat-tail. With the ACOGs and almost 2 hours I got them grouping within 2-3 inches at 100 yards off the bench. I’m happy with them both for now. I need to spend more time with them. Felt recoil is almost nonexistent on both very impressive to shoot.

Breakdown
Well both rifles breakdown quickly and reassemble easily and just as fast. The ACR barrel and piston system is pretty impressive the way is detaches and reattaches is genius! Both retain their break down pins like an AR. When I broke them down for cleaning as expected they were both fairly clean. I love gas piston guns, they are easy to clean.

Weight
Well here is a problem for the ACR. The ACR feels allot heavier. They both feel well balanced. But the SCAR is much lighter. The below weights are what I found, but it feels a little more significant to me.
ACR: Weight, 3.175 kg (7.8 lb) I have the Enhanced Model
Bushmaster Presents - ACR
SCAR: Weight, 3.04 kg (6.7 lb)
fnhusa.com redirect

To conclude, I am happy to have each in my collection. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I haven’t had enough trigger time with either yet to commit on reliability. But thus far both have been flawless, even with Wolf ammo. I guess if I had to choose I would go with the lighter of the two. I have lugged around the M-16 on all 13 of my deployments and believe me it becomes a pain.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks tons for the review!

I own a SCAR 16S myself. I got to shot a buddy's ACR but found the SCAR's felt recoil, lightweight and overall design superior to the ACR.

The bolt carrier group is much larger on the SCAR and the bolt carrier design allows for the elimination of the transfer rod.

I personally like the barrel mounting approach that FN has compared to the ACR.

The selector switch has a much more positive detent to it.