ACR v. AR15

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ACR v. AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default ACR v. AR15

Which do you prefer and what are the real world differences?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

acr is gimmick gun made of a mishmash of various systems all of which can be be duplicated in a cheaper more versatile lighter weight manner by the ar15/m16 but as a whole are overall less than impressive.

the acr appeals greatly to mall ninjas who have "mag" tattoed on their left buttcheek and "pul" on the right.

just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-26-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
acr is gimmick gun mad of a mishmash of various systems all of which can be be duplicated in a cheaper more versatile lighter weight manner by the ar15/m16.

the acr appeals greatly to mall ninjas who have "mag" tattoed on their left buttcheek and "pul" on the right.

just my opinion.
Your opinion is pretty much the same as mine.

I got the chance to play with an ACR back when I worked at a gun store... it didn't impress me.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
acr is gimmick gun made of a mishmash of various systems all of which can be be duplicated in a cheaper more versatile lighter weight manner by the ar15/m16 but as a whole are overall less than impressive.

just my opinion.

I have to echo what JonM said, after cleaning off my laptop screen , the ACR is a solution looking for a problem, but is Tacticool all the way to the bank.

I'll take an AR that I built any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

JD

Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've examined and shot the ACR.

Its running a short-stroke piston-driven operating system, this concept is combined with a multilug rotating bolt idea of the AR15.

A gas port located in abut the same location as the AR allows gas from the fired cartridge to flow into the cylinder directly above, within which is contained the head of a single spring-loaded piston.

The gas pressure forces the piston rearward, where is imparts force against a bolt carrier (more substantial then an M4), driving it and the rotating bolt head rearward. By rotating within a cam slot in the carrier, the bolt unlocks and carries rearward with the carrier, taking the fired case along for the ride until it clears the ejection port and is forced out by the spring-loaded bolt-face ejector. The bolt carrier stops at the end of its travel inside the receiver only (and not inside the buttstock as one would find in the AR), and is pushed forward by a guide and spring, stripping the next round from the magazine and chambering it.

The fire control system appears to use AR-compatible parts in the hammer, trigger disconnector and springs, with the exception of the hammer spring which as a angle turn on one leg to retain the firecontrol system retaining lever.

You can fold the stock on the ACR and there is a cheekpeice that can be raied for a much better cheekweld. Changing barrels is very fast on the ACR. Just a few things that I can think of that are significant advantages over the AR platform.

In the end - after my research, I did not prefer the ACR, it was the ergonomics that did not work well with me.
I went with the FN SCAR 16s. I also own multiple DI and piston ARs for comparison.

Last edited by goretro77; 05-26-2011 at 03:20 AM.